PDA

View Full Version : Raising Discus fry without BBS

uday1965
03-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Has anybody raised discus fry without artemia. If yes may I know how?
Thanks

John_Nicholson
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
While it is possible ( i.e. there are not any BBS swimming around in the Amazon ) why would you want to? BBS is the one of the easiest, cheapest, and best foods around for raising fry.

-john

nc0gnet0
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
While it is possible ( i.e. there are not any BBS swimming around in the Amazon ) why would you want to? BBS is the one of the easiest, cheapest, and best foods around for raising fry.

-john

+1

I have never understood this either. If you can't hatch BBS, chances are you can't raise discus fry.

judy
03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
I can't hatch BBS worth a damn for some reason.... but I've raised many batches of babies by starting them with the parents for up to a month, and weaning them onto powdered Cyclopeeze and Hikari First Bites startting at ab0ut two weeks old.

dpete9
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Maybe you've had a bad batch(es) of shrimp eggs??
I have a batch of fry now that are 2 wks old. I feed them Brine shrimp 2x's a day but in-between shrimp they have been pecking away at their mother's beef-heart.
A little over a year ago I had a pair spawn the week prior to me leaving for a 2 wk vacation. I did nothing and expected them to be all dead when I returned. When I returned I was surprised to see I still had around 75 fry nursing on their parents. I raised them all to pretty nice size and sold them. All except for 2, those 2 are some very large fat adults now. And that's my story. Would I intentionally not feed them bbs, no, but they survived just the same.

Ulyss
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I have had free swimmers for about three weeks now do some baby discus die down the road I mean they all don't survive right I'm concern Ive notice two to three die everyday