PDA

View Full Version : DIY 3d Backgrounds

tbird22771
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey everybody,

I just picked up my new 90g tank yesterday and I have been considering making a 3d background for it. Everything I have read in regards to the cement and it effecting water quality is raising a few red flags for me. So I am wondering if anybody has done this with their discus tanks and even if letting it rest and changing the water for an extended period before adding stock (I am in no hurry with this project so even a month or so would not be an issue) would assure that water quality would remain stable? Or would using a pond sealer or epoxy resin be a feasible option?

Lenin
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I used that on my 90g and it looked great with no bad effects, I did let it cure for almost a month outside and did several water changes

tbird22771
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Thank you Lenin :)
Another question I would have is, how has it held up for you?

Northwoods Discus
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I sealed some cedar stumps with epoxy resin. They needed a lot of weight to get them negatively buoyant. I used some lead shot placed in holes drilled into the stumps. That was not enough so I added cement to the backs. I sealed the logs and cement with epoxy. Has been up and running since early fall with no problems. Water chemistry and clarity are perfect. No affect on Ph or hardness.
With what I spent on epoxy though I could have purchased fake logs. But the look is great.

tbird22771
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow that looks beautiful!! I am definitely leaning toward sealing with epoxy. My tank does have a built in overflow in the middle, probably would not have been my first choice but the tank was literally like brand new and the price was so low I couldn't pass it up, but now I am wondering how I can work it all out.

Northwoods Discus
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Those cedar stumps are hollowed out on the back to hide the 2 over flows in that tank. That is the reason I picked those in the first place. I needed some way to hide the overflows.

Lenin
03-20-2012, 11:08 AM
This used to be my 90 tall take a look at the background, it was holding good until the tank failed on me, it was a seam, but it should of lasted forever

http://media.use.com/images/s_4/793d19bf1cb63cc15aaa.jpg (http://www.use.com/793d19bf1cb63cc15aaa)

MightyEvil
03-22-2012, 05:31 PM
You can also use Drylok instead of cement. It is a latex based paint made for waterproofing cement or something of the sort. I have used it and I have never lost a fish to it...

You can get it at Lowes and use Quickcreet Cement pigment to give it color as it is white.