PDA

View Full Version : 1St Day Discus Concerns

BigBruiserAl
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Well after the tank has run for 6 months i sold all but 5 of my apisto's and got 6 blue turq discus, they are in BB tank with a few flower pots filled with cat litter and some valls. Now they soon as they went in they hide which is normal, after 2 hours i added some bloodworm and they all took it great. Now since then 4 of them chill out in the open but 2 of them chase my 50 neons around non stop. I read that neons should be as long as they were adult is this likely to contuine or are they sorting a pecking order?

discus are onlt 7cm or so and neons are adult 2-3cm so there no going to fit in their mouths? :mad:

Lenin
03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Personally I think the two chasing the neons are very healthy and I wouldn't even give it a second tought, after you feed them more they should stop

Second Hand Pat
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Personally I think the two chasing the neons are very healthy and I wouldn't even give it a second tought, after you feed them more they should stop

+1 they should give up in time.

BigBruiserAl
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Ah that's good i have done so much research on the discus and thought oh no this is odd lol. The 2 that are chasing chase on their side is that normal too? they swim upright but when chasing they do it on their side google didt throw up much.

thanks in advance guys

Orange Crush
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
It takes a while, sometimes 2 or 3 weeks for discus to fully adjust to their new "home".
I have never heard of anyone using cat litter in a fish tank but the heavy metals and other chemicals in the clay would concern me. I wont even use the stuff as cat litter because they inhale it and lick it off of their paws (the cats not the fish, lol). What made you decide to use this?

Orange Crush
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Pics please :)

BigBruiserAl
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I not new to keeping fish just discus, i breed apisto normally but fancied a change hence discus. Many people use cat litter for plant growth, i have for many years a bit like play sand for substrate it cheap and inert and will not leech into the tank :)

i should say only certain brands are tested to be safe and inert for example in the UK argos play sand and tesco cat litter has been fine for all users for years

Orange Crush
03-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I not new to keeping fish just discus, i breed apisto normally but fancied a change hence discus. Many people use cat litter for plant growth, i have for many years a bit like play sand for substrate it cheap and inert and will not leech into the tank :)

i should say only certain brands are tested to be safe and inert for example in the UK argos play sand and tesco cat litter has been fine for all users for years
Good to know! Are you in the UK or the US? Standards for what is allowed in products are diff between the two countries.

Larry Bugg
03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Cat Litter has been been used in the US also. You do have to be careful about the brand.

John_Nicholson
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
When the lights go out tonight I bet some of the neons do to...LOL.

Good luck and everything "sounds" normal.

-john

BigBruiserAl
03-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys looking forward to keeping these im in the uk

tonytheboss1
03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
When the lights go out tonight I bet some of the neons do to...LOL.

Good luck and everything "sounds" normal.

-john

:bandana: +1 And nature runs it's course. "T"

BigBruiserAl
03-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Here's a few pics, not the best but i want look after the fish rather then have a show tank :P

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/BigBruiserAl/DSCF4499.jpg
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/BigBruiserAl/DSCF4500.jpg
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/BigBruiserAl/DSCF4501.jpg
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/BigBruiserAl/DSCF4498.jpg

exuse the poor pics :)

strawberryblonde
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Awww, I just love young discus! They all have that spiky haircut look...just adorable. They look fine, but a bit stressed out, hence the dark bars. That's pretty normal when they're new to a tank. So is the neon chasing behavior!

Give them a week or two to settle in and they'll most likely stop chasing the neons and will also lose the dark bars. Good luck with the tank, the discus look very nice.

SeaDragon
03-25-2012, 11:14 PM
What size tank do you have? Looks pretty small for that many growing discus.

BigBruiserAl
03-26-2012, 05:22 AM
yeah i thought it looked small in that pic but its a 250L tank or 66 US Gallons