PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my discus on NLS pellets and ON flake

lipadj46
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I have been growing out my stendker discus on beefheart mix, frozen blackworms and super beefheart flake for nearly a year now. I really wanted them to be completely on flake and pellets as a maintenance food as it is easier on the wallet and on maintenance, plus its healthier for the fish in the long term IMO. I do like the super beefheart flake but I found if I fed that, my fish would wait for that one feeding and ignore the rest of the food. I stopped feeding that and only offered the prime reef and NLS and after about 2 weeks of refusing to eat a couple fish broke down and now they all take the pellets and flake. I figured I would put this out there for those who try to switch food and are afraid the fish will starve to death and chicken out. Eventually if they are healthy they will eat what you want them to just be more stubborn than they are.

Samsmobb
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
where did you get the beefheart from?
i may interested in trying it

lipadj46
03-21-2012, 05:34 PM
the beefheart flake is from inland empire discus, good stuff, almost too good.

DonMD
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
the beefheart flake is from inland empire discus, good stuff, almost too good.

But why wouldn't you want to continue feeding it? I understand it's loaded with vitamins and nutrients, plus the huge protein from beef heart. Why switch to ON?

lipadj46
03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
IMO beefheart is not good for fish in the long term. The Prime Reef and NLS will offer plenty of protein for adult fish.

joanstone
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I too want to get mine more into flakes and pellets-foods that I can put into an automatic feeder for when I'm away. Some of mine are getting better. I've accumulated an assortment of high quality flakes and pellets, now as you said, I just have to be more stubborn than they are. Good job sticking with it.