PDA

View Full Version : Possible bullying

Chris b 1986
03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I currently have 6 discus in my juwel rio 240 and one of them my blue turk I think is getting bullied. It hangs about at the top near the pump a lot and goes dark when he does venture down he colours back up.From what I have seen I have another discus which seems a bit aggressive towards it and some of the others but this one seems to be suffering the most any ideas peeps.

Many thanks chris

joeymac
03-23-2012, 08:21 PM
How long have they been in there? Are they new?

aguest
03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
You can try feeding him a lot. IME, a well fed discus can fight back! I only hand feed them though, thats how I make sure every fish eats.

Chris b 1986
03-24-2012, 06:45 AM
I have had them for a month now I read somewhere it's a good idea to create more hiding places in the tank. Iv tried hand feeding them with beef heart and discus flake but there a little bit too timid.

Thanks for posting back guys hope to hear from you soon chris

Chris b 1986
03-24-2012, 05:15 PM
How did u get them to hand feed mine seem a bit jumpy for it

strawberryblonde
03-24-2012, 05:56 PM
To train them to eat from your hand, just use a cube of beefheart (or seafood mix, etc) and hold it in the tank first thing in the morning before you feed them anything else. Hold it very steady and if the height of your tank makes it so that they are starting at your midsection, try bending down during the feeding so that they can see your face. Or you could sit on a chair and feed by hand. Whatever works best for you and lets them see your eyes. They seem to really like eyes.

Feeding by hand first thing in the morning won't work the first day, or even the second, but by the third day they will start coming up when they see you because they'll associate your hand with the yummy cube of food in the mornings. By the end of the week you should have them literally, eating out of your hand. =)

Chris b 1986
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the advice il give it a go and let u know how I get on thanks

joeymac
03-25-2012, 02:05 AM
If you've only had them for a month the bullying is normal they are still just setting up the pecking order. It will atop soon enough.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk