PDA

View Full Version : how do you keep your tank clean after feeding?

papelboyl1
03-25-2012, 02:22 AM
like I've read discus require clean water and feeding usually equates to dirtiness if the uneaten food is left uncollected. But how can you collect uneaten food when it's getting blown all over. and I suppose this problem is exacerbated by the fact I have a planted tank.

Any suggestions? thank you

Teshi
03-25-2012, 02:38 AM
I have a BB tank and love it. I have a pre-filter on my intake also. There is very little food for me to have to clean up after feeding. With a BB the fish can find it easier. And with what is left i can usually clean up for less than a half gal of water.

benico
03-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Currently I also have a BB tank but I am building a new show tank which would definitely have sands, drift wood and low tech plants... this would be a problem for me soon too coz the fishes like to spit food out and bite again... especially when feeding beefheart...

strawberryblonde
03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
If you discus are young and you are growing them out, the easiest way to do that is with a barebottom tank. If you can't handle the look of a barebottom tank for a few months, then you can add a SMALL amount of sand, just enough to cover the bottom.

For decor, add a piece or two of driftwood. It's easy to move around as you clean.

For keeping the bottom of the tank tidy and free of excess food, add corydora catfish. A nice group of at least 5-6 (depends on the size of your tank, but I've gotten great results with 5) will do the job of gobbling up any leftovers when the discus are full.

A planted tank just isn't a good idea for raising discus. It can work well once they are adults, but as you've already noticed, the plants trap too much food in them and foul the water.