PDA

View Full Version : Help please

krislewis3
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I have 4 juvi discus in a 40 gallon tank.....I've had them for 6 weeks and all seemed good until this morning when I noticed one of them scratching himself fairly often on my air tubing! I suspect flukes! I want to treat with quick cure, but not sure how to proceed !

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

ScUrratching, or rubbing against tubing and plant

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

No visible signs, just scratching

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
1 drop of quick cure for each gallon. One time this morning!

Tank/Water
City water
4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
40 gallon
New aquarium has been set up for 3 months

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
50% water change every other day

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____
- ph _____
6.5 to 7
- ammonia reading ____
- nitrite reading ____
- nitrate reading ____
- well water ____
No
- municipal water ____
yes
7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no

LizStreithorst
03-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Your tank isn't fully cycled yet. Your nitrite reading should be 0 and your nitrates should be 5 or under. Go to 50% WC daily until you get to that. If the fish are still flashing when your water is as it should be, THEN do the Quick Cure.

krislewis3
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I erred on those readings....my nitrate is right at 5 and my nitrites are 0......
Only one is flashing, and not that often ...How do you recommend using the quick cure? I'm unsure of how many times, and how many days, and when do I do wc????

LizStreithorst
03-25-2012, 01:09 PM
I would say yes. I always use PP myself, but quick cure works well enough and is easier on very young fish. Since I've only used quick cure on fish 3 weeks old back when I was stupid and didn't clean the pair first, I can't advise as to lenght of treatment. Somebody here will know.