PDA

View Full Version : Corydora Sterbai baby!

strawberryblonde
03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Welp, it's official...I'm an idiot. LOL

I have 3 Sterbai Cory's and 2 Albino's in my tank. Bought them all last year and have pretty much ignored them ever since. They do their job, look cute in the tank and mostly hang out under the driftwood during the day.

Once a month my one Sterbai pair starts fluttering up and down the sides of the tank, lays dozens of eggs and then goes right back to the driftwood while the cardinal tetra's have yummy sterbai caviar snacks.

So this morning I saw my pair doing their "thing" on the glass, and then noticed a second pair following them around! I stopped dead in my tracks and waited and watched.

Sure enough, I now have FOUR sterbai's in the tank! One is quite a bit smaller than the original three, but is definitely not juvie sized. The little one came out, fluttered around a bit, then dashed back under the driftwood when I approached the tank.

She/he is under there now...staring out at me.

I just can't believe that one of the eggs managed to hatch AND survive as fry in my main tank! Can't imagine what it found to eat for the last few months, but dang, it sure is amazing.

Bill63SG
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Cool,I had almost the same thing happen with my albino pleco's.Saw something dash across the tank and thought it was an endler,until I looked closer.

Second Hand Pat
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Toni, lol kiddo, life will find a way. Remember where that line come from. :)

strawberryblonde
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Hahaha Pat, Tim and I LOVE that line from the movie! Let's hope this little guy doesn't grow teeth and start terrorizing the discus, huh? =)

Now I'm wondering what else I might find under the driftwood when we tear down the tank and redo it next weekend. New driftwood is soaking in my jacuzzi as we speak - stay tuned for part two of "When Corydoras Sterbai invaded Idaho".

Second Hand Pat
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
"When Corydoras Sterbai invaded Idaho".

:D