PDA

View Full Version : Sources for getting quality discus - newbies please note

discuspaul
03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
as a follow-up to my discus guide, and to give any of you who are interested and are seriously thinking of setting up a discus tank, i felt it would be worthwhile to advise you of some of the best supply sources for getting good quality discus in n.a.

and as i've said several times before, ensuring you get the best quality, healthy, well-shaped discus, accounts for the lion's share of being successful keeping discus.

that means avoiding any questionable sources, and getting your discus only from well-known, experienced, reputable and fully reliable retail suppliers of good quality discus.

it's a fact that the vast majority of knowledgeable discus-keepers in the u.s. And canada buy their stock from such retail sources, usually having them air-shipped to their locations, across the country if need be.

the following is just a partial list of well-known, fully reputable commercial/wholesale discus breeders and exporters, from whom many n.a. Retailers get their stock. This list is far from representative of anywhere near the gamut of quality discus breeders around the world, but will give you a grounding on, arguably, some of the better name sources.

within each list i have also named a couple of well-known reputable importers and retailers of these quality farm-bred fish, from whom you may order, air-shipped to wherever you reside. Most of these retailers are sponsors on simplydiscus.com forum, and i believe they all have websites where you can view their gallery of stock, get prices, and any other info you may need. You may order from them online, by email, phone, or in person if you are near their location.

a small disclaimer - i make no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of this info, which is to the best of my knowledge. As you know, this type of info is subject to change over time, and my sources may not have been updated recently.

- discus forrest - malaysia
forrest has gained an excellent reputation for being one of the top breeder/exporters of quality discus. Among others, in the u.s., kenny's discus - kenny cheung - of daly city, ca., and in canada, canadian aqua farm - rick grange- of vancouver, b.c., carry forrest discus. These two retail dealers are high on the list of premier discus suppliers in their respective countries.

- jeffrey yang discus - malaysia
yang produces high quality discus, and importing retailers of these fish include central ohio discus - mike beals - of galena, ohio, and upper canada discus - bob garside - of barrie, ont., canada.

- wayne ng discus - hong kong
ng's fine discus are known pretty much around the world, and his discus importers include elite aquaria - dan espinosa - of weston, fla., new jersey discus - rod & bob, and upper canada discus in barrie, ont.

- tony tan - malaysia
also a producer of quality discus, tan's discus are imported by kingdom come discus in lexington, kentucky, u.s.a.

- stendker discus - germany
german breeders have been exporting high quality discus for many years, and stendker is renowned as one of the best. The premier u.s. Importer of these fish is the very well-known and reputable hans' discus of baltimore, maryland. In canada, aquarium du nord, montreal, p.q. Imports stendker fish.

- alex piwowarski discus - germany
also regarded as a premier german breeder/exporter, his discus are imported by, among others, central ohio discus in the u.s., and discus house, p.q., in canada.

- jack wattley discus - usa
i would be remiss if i did not mention that jack wattley, of miami, fla. Has been breeding and retailing fine quality discus for many years, and his fish are sought by discus enthusiasts across america and elsewhere.

keep in mind there are many other good quality discus breeders and exporters in the world, and some other countries which are producing fine discus include singapore, taiwan, vietnam, and thailand.

the retailers named above are well-known to have gained a solid reputation for supplying quality stock, they follow impeccable shipping practices, all but guarantee 100% live delivery of their livestock, and their prices are reasonable too !

my sincere apologies to those other quality retail discus suppliers that i have not mentioned - please feel free to chime in with your additions to my short list above - i'm sure the public would be pleased to know who you are.

all the best of luck to you in your discus-keeping endeavors. Contact me if i can provide any further information.

April
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
That's a bit of a list..but bear in mind most come to simplydiscus once they have tried discus from a petshop or local breeder. Some people can jump right into ordering online..but most go to local sources.
As usual forum customers make up about 3 percent of sales.
Also..there's another stendker supplier in Vancouver Canada. It's called Aprils aquarium. Also discus Hans stendker fish can be bought at many many petshops across USA.
I wold say a good place to start is checking who is your nearest source or breeder as they can often help with questions about local water etc.
It's also good if you can view discus in hobbyist setups or fish rooms to get a feel for them
So,e of my most successful new discus hobbyists are local people who I helped them with advice and I'm there for questions when they drop in.

Larry Bugg
03-29-2012, 09:50 PM
When did Central Ohio start importing Alex fish? Did I misss that?

discuspaul
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
That's a bit of a list..but bear in mind most come to simplydiscus once they have tried discus from a petshop or local breeder. Some people can jump right into ordering online..but most go to local sources.
As usual forum customers make up about 3 percent of sales.
Also..there's another stendker supplier in Vancouver Canada. It's called Aprils aquarium. Also discus Hans stendker fish can be bought at many many petshops across USA.
I wold say a good place to start is checking who is your nearest source or breeder as they can often help with questions about local water etc.
It's also good if you can view discus in hobbyist setups or fish rooms to get a feel for them
So,e of my most successful new discus hobbyists are local people who I helped them with advice and I'm there for questions when they drop in.

My sincerest apologies for not mentioning you, April - I thought of you for sure, but felt that since you had turned over most of your Forrest imports to Rick Grange recently, I simply felt he was the one I should mention as being the ongoing major importer of Forrest fish on the west coast - am I off track in any way ?
And quite candidly, I did not know you were bringing in Stendker discus.
I knew I would be making some honest omissions here - sorry about that.

discuspaul
03-29-2012, 10:05 PM
When did Central Ohio start importing Alex fish? Did I misss that?

Hi Larry,
I recently read on his sponsor site, I believe, that he had Alex P. discus on hand & available. Am I wrong ?

seanyuki
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi Paul......there are many new sponsors here in the forum.....from wild to domestic discus plus some hobbyists here also provide high quality discus too.....imo buying discus and check with the seller ...... ask questions to the seller and happy with their answers then obtain their stocks.....I'am just a hobbyists.

texasdiscusman
03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I do t think mike is bringing in Alex's fish right now.

yim11
03-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Kraig isn't bring in Tony's fish anymore as I understand it.

As often as things change it might be best to separate the suppliers from the sponsors<?>

josephl
03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
My sincerest apologies for not mentioning you, April - I thought of you for sure, but felt that since you had turned over most of your Forrest imports to Rick Grange recently, I simply felt he was the one I should mention as being the ongoing major importer of Forrest fish on the west coast - am I off track in any way ?
And quite candidly, I did not know you were bringing in Stendker discus.
I knew I would be making some honest omissions here - sorry about that.

I have bought a Flachen from each of the last 2 shipments of Stendker's that April has brought in to Vancouver, amazing fish, aggressive eaters and growing like weeds.

josephl
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi Larry,
I recently read on his sponsor site, I believe, that he had Alex P. discus on hand & available. Am I wrong ?

Don't see it on here, maybe I'm blind

http://www.centralohiodiscus.com/index.htm

On another note, I just ordered 2 Albino Plantinums and 2 Platinum Diamonds from Mike, delivered to Vancouver, great shipping, great communication and beautiful healthy fish

lipadj46
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
don't forget mmorris, she may be a small breeder but marth's fish are top notch and her customer service is about the best there is.

decoy50
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Discuspaul - its like you read my mind. I was going to start a thread with this exact question as I try and track down the best source to buy stock.

discuspaul
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Don't see it on here, maybe I'm blindhttp://www.centralohiodiscus.com/index.htm

On another note, I just ordered 2 Albino Plantinums and 2 Platinum Diamonds from Mike, delivered to Vancouver, great shipping, great communication and beautiful healthy fish

Hi joseph,
On thinking back, I don't believe I saw it on Central Ohio's sponsor site. I believe it came up when I googled Alex Piwowasrki discus - but I did expect some of the info might be incorrect. If it is, my apologies to Mike Beals.

discuspaul
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
don't forget mmorris, she may be a small breeder but marth's fish are top notch and her customer service is about the best there is.

I certainly didn't forget about Martha. I was simply wanting to list just one or two of each of the larger, better known retail suppliers - mainly importers, not necessarily breeders. Although I feel Jack Wattley is an exception, from the breeder standpoint.

Thanks to all of you for your foregoing comments.

jaykne
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
There are lots of small hobbyists breeders on the forum that provide top notch fry, I and many others sell and ship top notch fry!!!

April
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Wattley discus is run by gabe . And I do believe they import alot of their stock. Not quite the same company as it was when wattley ran it.
For beginners I'd say a group of nice homegrowns is a good way to go. A good learning curve.
Most beginners aren't going to jump into paying for high end spotteds, albinos, red covers etc.
Jose on here is also raising some really good looking babies.
That's why I say research who's in your area and go learn from home breeders etc who are having success.
Or..go see import companies also.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fhz513

josephl
03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Wattley discus is run by gabe . And I do believe they import alot of their stock. Not quite the same company as it was when wattley ran it.
For beginners I'd say a group of nice homegrowns is a good way to go. A good learning curve.
Most beginners aren't going to jump into paying for high end spotteds, albinos, red covers etc.
Jose on here is also raising some really good looking babies.
That's why I say research who's in your area and go learn from home breeders etc who are having success.
Or..go see import companies also.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fhz513

100% agree with April. Let's face it, if you are a beginner, how do you even know what a good discus is? Might as well get some from local sources that you can see yourself, where you can talk to the seller or pet store and if nothing else, they are at least adapted to your local water conditions.

JenTN
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
100% agree with April. Let's face it, if you are a beginner, how do you even know what a good discus is? Might as well get some from local sources that you can see yourself, where you can talk to the seller or pet store and if nothing else, they are at least adapted to your local water conditions.

I'm a beginner...these are my 1st discus. Mine are all Hans discus. I knew I liked the German look vs. the Asian look & I knew quality from lurking on here off and on for pribably 4 years. So when it was time to buy delicate fish I knew I wanted Stendkers. Came to lfs stendkers or direct from Hans, I did both lol. All noobs arent uneducated before purchase.

discuspaul
03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
There are lots of small hobbyists breeders on the forum that provide top notch fry, I and many others sell and ship top notch fry!!!

I certainly do concede, and heartily agree, that there are numerous dedicated and knowledgeable hobbyist breeders out there that undeniably produce top notch discus.
However, this thread was not in any way intended to get into that area of sourcing - it was simply an outline of the known available retail sources of quality import discus, who are generally well equipped & qualified to provide discus air-shipment services across north america - that's all.
Good, local breeder sources are a whole other matter entirely, and perhaps someone would like to start another thread in that particular regard, rather than moving this one out of it's intended context.

discuspaul
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Note re: Jack Wattley discus:
When I wrote this thread, I included Jack Wattley discus in view that I had read - in the Tropical Fish Hobbyist I believe - but it may have been elsewhere, & at least one other source as well - that the new operator of the Wattley enterprise was maintaining the Jack Wattley 'good name' tradition. I had also read that the new operation was continuing to breed discus, but was also importing livestock for sale.

Since posting this thread, I have heard from one other sd member, that this may not be the case.

Could any of you who have first-hand experience, or knowledge, of the current quality of the Wattley discus product, good or bad - post your views here so that, if need be, the record could be set straight for the benefit of all readers here.
Thank you in advance.

April
03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
There was a huge thread before. People have gone to the hatchery and saw many pairs..no eggs.
No fry. They do import also.
Do a search for threads.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olykge

discuspaul
03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
There was a huge thread before. People have gone to the hatchery and saw many pairs..no eggs.
No fry. They do import also.
Do a search for threads.

I did a search, April - before and after I posted this thread - went back about 5 years.

I didn't run across the huge thread you were talking about, which I assume was negative towards Gabe's operation these days.
Almost everything I read about the Wattley (Gabe Posada) operation was very positive.
One of the most recent threads I ran across was titled "Raffle #4 Sponsored by Jack Wattley Discus" posted by Bugman (Larry) on Oct.2/2011, which received positive reaction by everyone posting.
Could someone please direct me to a (or THE) negative thread on Wattley's business since Gabe took over ?

btw, Jack Wattley must by now be in his late 80's, but I believe he still personally responds to discus questions in the special discus column in TFH magazine. Dan Espinosa of Elite Aquaria said he knows Jack, and mentioned in one post a couple of years ago that Jack still had an interest in the Wattley operation - he didn't sell out completely to Gabe.
But perhaps he doesn't follow what's going on with the operation ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olykge
P.

April
03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Not sure it was negative...just questions as to where the fry were.
Could be in another location.
The old thread may have been before the forum was redone.
There used to be pics of his hatchery etc from someone's tour.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?psoh15

Etek
04-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I found this forum after I purchased 3 discus which I don't even know what they are from a lfs. One is 2" the other two are 3" but I cant tell what they are. After I went and found a lfs that carries Stendker discus from Hans. Wish i found this forum and read abou good breeders suppliers instead of randomly getting some.

walt3
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
how about - gwynnbrook farms discus, peter thode?