PDA

View Full Version : 1st pair ever! cross outcome? *shimmy*

trit0n2003
03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
So my pair of a red turq and blue turq are cleaning a leaf on my melon sword and doing that little *shimmy* next to one another right now in my community tank, super excited! I bought 5 of them exactly 1 year ago (last spring break from college lol). I have been waiting a long time for a pair to form lol I am going to be moving them tonight or tomorrow to a 36g breeder that I used for my angelfish breeding before. I have had good results and practice with angelfish breeding so I think I should have an easier time dealing with the learning curve for discus.

My question,
I have tried googling/searching for red turq x blue turq pictures but haven't been too lucky to find an exact example. The closest thread i could find so far was a red turq x blue diamond.

Does anyone know what the F1 generation would look like?

Thanks everyone who helps, I will post pictures as soon as i get them into their breeding tank and spawn again (hopefully).

Here are pictures I had on my computer of them. (not the best quality discus i know, they where stunted when i got them and only about 5 inches from nose to tail now. But I'm giving them a great life and still look beautiful to me, and hopefully i can raise some awesome looking offspring that won't be stunted). I am not sure which is male and which is female, but i THINK the blue is the female as her "sex" organ sticking out right now looks thicker than the red's. So if they are anything like angelfish the thicker sex organ has usually been the female. Just guessing lol

Not sure if the darkening indicates sex, but the blue is turning really dark right now also. The red not so much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/VOLKSvr6/photo2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/VOLKSvr6/photo1.jpg

Dubiadiscus
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Beautiful pair of discus you have I love there color alot how vibrant and bright they are. :)

As far as the sexing of them I was told and read somewhere that usually the male has a more of a pointed dorsal fin close to there top side of the tail fin. But Im not 100% shure. I cant wait to see the fry and what they look like if and when they breed. Good Luck!

Discus-n00b
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
The darkening usually happens as they build up their slime coat so once the eggs hatch the fry can find the parent and feed off the slimecoat. No breeding expert at all, but I would think the majority of fry would look like a Red Turq.

Sasha
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Are you sure that the "blue turk" isn't really a young blue cobalt ? I have a blue cobalt that I got from Hans and when young the fish had very similar coloring and patters to what you show as your "blue turk" picture. As my blue cobalt grew, he lost a lot of the reddish spots on his side, and is now mostly blue, but still has some reddish stripes on the dorsal and lower fins.

Anyway, I'm interested in the responses to this thread as I have a Blue Turq and a Red Scribbelt pair who are spawning every 5 days..... I have had wigglers, but have yet to get to fry, however. My pair is young and we together are new at this breeding thing.

rdiscus
03-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes blue cobalt ... look like 2 female to me

trit0n2003
03-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Beautiful pair of discus you have I love there color alot how vibrant and bright they are. :)

As far as the sexing of them I was told and read somewhere that usually the male has a more of a pointed dorsal fin close to there top side of the tail fin. But Im not 100% shure. I cant wait to see the fry and what they look like if and when they breed. Good Luck!

Thanks! I am excited to give discus breeding a shot.

and I read that too somewhere, but I think ill know for sure in a short time when they start spawning which one is male and which is female. Today they are cleaning even more vigorously and starting to chase away tank mates so hopefully it happens soon!.

trit0n2003
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
The darkening usually happens as they build up their slime coat so once the eggs hatch the fry can find the parent and feed off the slimecoat. No breeding expert at all, but I would think the majority of fry would look like a Red Turq.

Thanks, I've read about the slime coat. I cannot wait to see it in person if i can get a good breeding pair that will raise their fry.

I remember how excited i was when i got 1 of my 3 angelfish pairs to finally raise their own fry after months of trying lol

trit0n2003
03-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Are you sure that the "blue turk" isn't really a young blue cobalt ? I have a blue cobalt that I got from Hans and when young the fish had very similar coloring and patters to what you show as your "blue turk" picture. As my blue cobalt grew, he lost a lot of the reddish spots on his side, and is now mostly blue, but still has some reddish stripes on the dorsal and lower fins.

Anyway, I'm interested in the responses to this thread as I have a Blue Turq and a Red Scribbelt pair who are spawning every 5 days..... I have had wigglers, but have yet to get to fry, however. My pair is young and we together are new at this breeding thing.

He could be! I was told thats what he was a blue turq so I assumed that was correct lol but a cobalt is just as fine to me. I got them from a guy in town i found on craigslist who apparently got them from thailand. Idk the truth lol

I don't know all the color strains of discus yet, so i might be better off going with your judgement. But I will keep this post updated, the pair is cleaning even more today and getting more territorial. I don't want to move them until they complete this spawn, then ill put them in my breeder tank and see what happens. woo!

Joker43
03-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Good Luck... If you get to watch the spawning all your sexing questions will be answered.. Just make sure they both don't lay eggs...lol.
I have all the excitement of a pair spawning to see both laying eggs.. Atleast I know they are female now.

Tito:jester:

strawberryblonde
03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Gotta admit that the blue fish doesn't look quite like a blue turq, but he/she doesn't really look like a cobalt either, wrong pattern on the dorsal fin and the body color should be more of a cobalt hue. This is more of an ocean blue/green.

Cobalt also generally have a dark halo and this one doesn't have it. So maybe a turq/flachen cross?

Can't tell on the sex of the fish. You'll need to wait till you have wrigglers in order to be sure that you have a male and a female. Sometimes two females will pair up and both lay eggs. I have one of those lesbian pairs. They are very much in love and hang out 24/7. =)

trit0n2003
03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Good Luck... If you get to watch the spawning all your sexing questions will be answered.. Just make sure they both don't lay eggs...lol.
I have all the excitement of a pair spawning to see both laying eggs.. Atleast I know they are female now.

Tito:jester:

I hope it's not a lesbian pair! ahh! that would be so disappointing! lol

trit0n2003
03-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Gotta admit that the blue fish doesn't look quite like a blue turq, but he/she doesn't really look like a cobalt either, wrong pattern on the dorsal fin and the body color should be more of a cobalt hue. This is more of an ocean blue/green.

Cobalt also generally have a dark halo and this one doesn't have it. So maybe a turq/flachen cross?

Can't tell on the sex of the fish. You'll need to wait till you have wrigglers in order to be sure that you have a male and a female. Sometimes two females will pair up and both lay eggs. I have one of those lesbian pairs. They are very much in love and hang out 24/7. =)

HMMM maybe he/she is just a mut lol But either way i really hope i don't have any lesbians lol

trit0n2003
04-01-2012, 12:11 AM
ITS OFFICIAL!

I wasn't getting any spawning today, they kept cleaning the area over and over! So I did a large 40% WC after work (also i helped clean the surface they were cleaning with my fingers to speed things up a bit lol) and in about 30 minutes they were at it!

Male
Blue Turq/Cobalt/ Flachen mut (idk what he is anymore lol)

Female
Red Turq

I am most likely going to pull the eggs from the community tank in about an hour because they will definitely be eaten over night once the lights go out. Howver, the eggs are on a melon sword leaf, and I am afraid cutting off the leaf and placing it in a container with meth blue because the leaf will rot.. won't it?

Anywhoo, ill probably still try it. And I will move the pair to my breeder tank tomorrow and get them set and ready for some baby makin! (bow chica wowow)

trit0n2003
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/6ceb68b0-d04b-49f5.jpg

Eggs as of today woohoo. In a 1 gallon jug with meth blue and an airstone at 84 degrees.

So far only a few have turned white.

rdiscus
04-01-2012, 09:38 PM
What will you do if they hatch?

WMD
04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
What will you do if they hatch?

stir fried? lol kidding

trit0n2003
04-01-2012, 10:13 PM
stir fried? lol kidding

Lol That's turribleee.

I'm going to raise them up if I can though. Luckily I'm on spring break to get through the hard part, otherwise I wouldn't have the time.