PDA

View Full Version : Lost 5 discus last night

rkanimal
04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
This morning found 4 discus dead and one floating at the top with it's belly really bloated. All had bloated bellies on post it was gas in stomach. They are in a 150 gal, pH 6.0, amm 0, nitirite 0, nitrate less than 5 ppm. Water changes of 25% done every other day. The tank contains or did 9, 3-4 in discus, 4 albino Bn, 1 hoplo cat, 3 zebra loaches for snail control. the tank is fully planted at a temp of 86 degrees. The fish were fine last night when fed. The diet consist of Omega One flakes, froozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, super brineshrimp and glassworms. Any one have or know of a problem like this?

Chicago Discus
04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Usually a water issue when you lose five fish at once ..........Josie

Teshi
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
OH I am so sorry for your loss!

I always worry that this is going to happen because of not adding the "Prime".

joeymac
04-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Usually a water issue when you lose five fish at once ..........Josie

+1
Did anything else happen out of the ordinary? During a water change or something. 25% every other day is not really enough water changing, but by itself definately shouldn't kill ur fish... how long have you had them?

strungout
04-02-2012, 04:03 AM
So sorry for your loss, I constantly fear of losing mine. Its good to have an additional backup aerator for water quality like a pump or something. During an
RO water change I fell asleep and luckily with filter turned off I have two giant airstones going into the tank. YOu can already tell by water quality and how they were swimming they needed the filter back.

rkanimal
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
The tank has been set up for 4 months. I don't think it is a water issue. The one that was bloated and floating recovered and is eating today. I treated the tank with metro.

Eddie
04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
The tank has been set up for 4 months. I don't think it is a water issue. The one that was bloated and floating recovered and is eating today. I treated the tank with metro.

No need to treat with metro if the fish recovered. If it was a water issue, it would have affected some of the other fish not only the discus. Strange loss but definitely no need to treat with metro.