PDA

View Full Version : Should i remove pots?

BigBruiserAl
04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I have a BB with 3 clay pots in the, the discus tend to hide about 30% of the time the rest they are happy to swim about. Is it wrong to give them no hide away at its just the pots are collecting alot of food and poo in them i see. The wood has now sunk and am thinkning of just wraping some java moss around it?

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/BigBruiserAl/DSCF4500.jpg

zimmjeff
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I got rid of mine for that very reason on collecting sturr in them.

-gb-
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I have pots in my tank and yes they do collect food and poo. I blow them out with a hose just before I do my water change to give them a good cleaning. Then I suck up all the crud and we're good to go. I also pull them out of the tank every 30 days for a good rinse. Now saying all this my Discus are adults...

IMO if you're really diligent in keeping the plants and gravel clean you're ok. You'll of course want to do water changes water changes water changes!

BigBruiserAl
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks im more concerned about leaving them without a hide is this bad for them?

-gb-
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Many people here have empty tanks with nowhere for their Discus to hid. Personally I like giving them a place to get away and feel secure but that is in no way a necessity.

As your fish grow older they will hide less. This is assuming they are happy and healthy.