PDA

View Full Version : Should Mix the strains or not?

scarhbar
04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I am buying 6 Discus. My issue is, I have no clue if I want to do all Blue Pigeon Bloods, or if I want to do a mix of different strains.

What is your guys input on this? And why?

Skip
04-03-2012, 12:25 AM
What is your guys input on this? And why?

dude.. it don't matter what random people you never met say..

pick the 6 YOU like.. :) :)

thats the best way.. :)

ps.. search the forums.. we just did like 3 of these threads on the same exact topic.. it will get you faster information..

Orange Crush
04-03-2012, 01:50 AM

pick the 6 YOU like.. :) :)

thats the best way.. :)

ps.. search the forums.. we just did like 3 of these threads on the same exact topic.. it will get you faster information..
+1

yim11
04-03-2012, 01:59 AM
You put us in a tricky situation here -

On the one hand, if we say "get all pigeons" and you end up seeing some spotted fish you like, you may come back and say "you people suck, I should have gotten mixed strains!".

On the other hand, if we say "get mixed strains" and you end up loving the pigeons and hating the spotted fish you may come back and say "you people suck, I should have gotten one strain!".

How do we win!?

You better handle this one yourself, just to be safe for all. ;)

Melissa
04-03-2012, 05:40 AM
I used to swear I loved the one strain look, that I'd never go back to a mixed tank.... But just this month I changed my mind and have a tank with almost every color in it- 14 fish, 6 different strains :) LOL just go with your gut. You're free to change your mind later!

joanstone
04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
I agree everyone's tastes are very different and as Melissa said even your own will most likely change. Mine sure has. What I started out wanting for discus is completely different from what I am going for now. What most people might agree on is that you'll want more than you have room for and you'll want another tank!

ockyra215
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Well two things come to mind

1) As your mother or father says "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you"?
2) Do what you think is best get the strains you like before long youll have another tank set up with another strain in it. It never fails!

This is just my opinion and Theres no cure for Discus Fever!

Skip
04-03-2012, 09:18 AM
This is just my opinion and Theres no cure for Discus Fever!

yes there is..

MORE COWBELL!

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/forum/resources/more-cowbell/3947

JenTN
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I agree with one thing...you'll want more tanks! I've kept fish for 5 years with one tank no problem (except a 5 gal for a while). Got discus in January (no intentions to breed, mixed juvies)- just set up another breeder tank for a pair! They are like crack, watch out!!!

Bud Smith
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Do want you want - to each their own - I used to have a mixed discus tank and now I have switched to a all reds tank
My wife said she likes the mixed tank and I said I will purchase another tank and put different strains in it for you but she has never brought it up again Hmm!
For me that is half the fun of it - raise some juvies - sell some and go a different route or just keep all adults and breed them

DiscusBR
04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Single strain tanks rule! Love the look. Also convenient if you want to breed. Then every pair that is formed is from the same strain.

nikond70s
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
hard to only stick one one strain.

however if this is a show tank. one strain def look a lot better. looks awesome when they school.

tonytheboss1
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM

pick the 6 YOU like..

thats the best way..

:bandana: +2