PDA

View Full Version : Flake Fish Food with Metronidazole, how often do I feed this to my Discus?

Sandy Clay
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi, I am new here, but, have been reading the posts here for awhile. I bought some of this medicated flake food from somethingsphisy.com. It sounded like it was a good idea to feed this food on occasion to eliminate worms. I read that feeding Discus frozen blood worms can introduce Hexitima (sp?). So I purchased some of this but there were no instructions with it. I had been feeding them the frozen blood worms, but, now I am concerned after reading that. I have 2 , 1 is about 2 years old, the other about a year. I lost one, which I moved to my other aquarium when he stopped eating. I tried medicating him (white stringy poo) but he did not survive. Hence, treating the other 2 just in case they may have gotten the worms also. There poo does look normal so far....so.....should I be feeding this medicated food? I also bought some freeze dried blood worms and black worms. Do you all think this is going to be sufficient or do I keep up the frozen blood worms too? Thanks Sandy

ockyra215
04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Angels plus offers flake food with metro in it would only feed it on a limited basis. JMO

Sandy Clay
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks. I was thinking I was only going to feed it to them for a week or two and then go back to regular foods.

seanyuki
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Imo try not to use meds when the discus are not sick(resistance to same meds in the future)......when you want to breed them....clean the parents first for healthy frys.

Only a few simple rules for keeping discus.

1.start with healthy stocks.
2.Work hard
3.keep the environment clean
4.avoid diseases
5.feed good foods
6.be persistent

hth

I am just a hobyist.

Eddie
04-08-2012, 12:18 AM
If its metro flake, it won't have any effect on internal worms. Also, metro isn't something to use routinely or as a preventative. Francis mentioned resistance which is a possibility. If the fish are happy, eating and healthy, skip the flakes. ;)

YSS
04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Medicated flakes won't work well for discus as the instructions basically say that the fish will have to eat the flakes in less than 10 seconds once in the water. No discus will eat that fast, especially flakes. Go to angelsplus website and read the instructions. I have tried using the medicated flakes a few times, but I have found them not effective for discus.

Sandy Clay
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Wow...that is just wrong that this food can be sold and advertised as such, and not work. I won't waste my time on it then. Is it ok so feed the frozen blood worms? The website I bought the food from, made it sound like the frozen introduced these worms. Live and learn I guess.

Eddie
04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Wow...that is just wrong that this food can be sold and advertised as such, and not work. I won't waste my time on it then. Is it ok so feed the frozen blood worms? The website I bought the food from, made it sound like the frozen introduced these worms. Live and learn I guess.

Actually, thats a personal opinion. I use the medicated flakes from Angel Plus and highly recommend them. But they should be used for a purpose. Internal worms can be introduced by many things but even though, metro is not the flake for that. They sell a deworming flake that works well for deworming but again, depends on the reason for use.

YSS
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92589-Medicated-Flakes-Dosage-Info

Eddie
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Im trying to see how your experience with the flake food is everyone's?

YSS
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Im trying to see how your experience with the flake food is everyone's?

Nope. That's not what I am saying. I am just sharing my experience with the AP flake food. They didn't work for me.

Eddie
04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Nope. That's not what I am saying. I am just sharing my experience with the AP flake food. They didn't work for me.

I understand. Its actually really difficult to control the amount of medication the fish ingests when its in a flake form. As you mentioned, the time its in the water before the fish eat it, makes the medication pretty much useless or diluted. Its all about how the fish take to it. I had my fish DESTROYING non-medicated flake food from Angel Plus, prior to ever using it. I'm pretty big on using flake as a staple.

YSS
04-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I understand. Its actually really difficult to control the amount of medication the fish ingests when its in a flake form. As you mentioned, the time its in the water before the fish eat it, makes the medication pretty much useless or diluted. Its all about how the fish take to it. I had my fish DESTROYING non-medicated flake food from Angel Plus, prior to ever using it. I'm pretty big on using flake as a staple.

Yup, I agree. By the way, good to see you back!

Eddie
04-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Yup, I agree. By the way, good to see you back!

Thanks, glad to be around! Now I just need to get some more fishes! You guys and your nice fish have me FEENIN!!