PDA

View Full Version : Any kind of rock for a discus tank that does not raise PH?

mattsoccer20
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone. So ive been planning out what how i am going to scape my discus tank once i get rid of the BBA and i would love rocks but i use to have some rocks in there and raise the PH allot. I asked my LFS a long time ago and they said if you get 100% slate rock it wont raise the PH. So i was wondering does anyone here know of a kind of rock to use in a discus tank that wont raise the PH? Got some really nice ideas if there is a kind :)

TonyAPBTx
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Coal if you can get a source for it.

I live in WV fortunately and have a buddy who has family works in the mines.

TonyAPBTx
04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Also,

Don't buy coal from a store. They will typically put an oil or some type of chemical on the outside to keep it looking shiny without losing any coal dust. This could cause serious issues with your fish later on when that chemical starts to break down and leak into the tank.

Orange Crush
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Also,

Don't buy coal from a store. They will typically put an oil or some type of chemical on the outside to keep it looking shiny without losing any coal dust. This could cause serious issues with your fish later on when that chemical starts to break down and leak into the tank.
Wouldn't the coal and/or coal dust also cause serious long term health issues or death in fish?

mattsoccer20
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Also,

Ok, i dont think i want coal anyways lol

Wouldn't the coal and/or coal dust also cause serious long term health issues or death in fish?
I would think so

zimmjeff
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I would go with a plastic type from the store just to be safe. also they won't have any sharp edges.

mattsoccer20
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I would go with a plastic type from the store just to be safe. also they won't have any sharp edges.
Oh good idea :) thanks. Ill see if they got any good ones. Does anyone know if slate is ok?

lipadj46
04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Coal, plastic rocks? LOL no thx. Go out and gather some rocks. Use an acid of some sort to test for carbonates. Slate is fine

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

warblad79
04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Rock salt doesn't raise ph

mattsoccer20
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Coal, plastic rocks? LOL no thx. Go out and gather some rocks. Use an acid of some sort to test for carbonates. Slate is fine

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class
Haha ok. I said ok to plastic because they make some pretty realistic fake rocks lol

TonyAPBTx
04-05-2012, 08:38 AM
No the coal dust wouldn't cause any issues to the fish. I have had coal in my tank for over a year and most filters use carbon/charcoal in the filter.

If you get the rock form its not like the coal you are used to seing. You just soak the rock in water for a day or two and its fine. It actually looks great against white sand.

TURQ64
04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
quartz,schist,dioritic base rocks,granite. I use chunks of quartz safely with shrimp, and it's completely neutral...none with Discus; my longtime preference for BB

mattsoccer20
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
quartz,schist,dioritic base rocks,granite. I use chunks of quartz safely with shrimp, and it's completely neutral...none with Discus; my longtime preference for BB
O ok. Thanks :). What about slate?

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I use the round river rock from home depot with no problem.

nc0gnet0
04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Slate is completely fine and safe, won't raise PH.

mattsoccer20
04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Slate is completely fine and safe, won't raise PH.
Ok cool. Do you use it?