PDA

View Full Version : QT tank setup and use questions

applekrate
04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

In my thread reads I found information on Why I should quarantine but I couldn't find the setup procedures in detail.
I have a 40 gal QT/Hospital tank (I will only fill half full if used as a hospital tank) I picked up a while back and I am now looking to set it up so I can buy additional fish. After quarantine of the fish I will be using it to quarantine new driftwood. I filled the tank to make sure everything works and drained. Its a basic tank with a HOB filter, heater and air pump. The questions I have are:

1. Does the 10 gallons per fish rule apply to quarantine tanks?
2. I had 1/2" of spare sand that I was saving as filler for the main tank. How do you dry or save wet sand (if possible)?
3. Does the "cycle tank" rule apply to QT tanks? Is the QT tank suppose to always be set up and cycled to use it? I will be adding some filter media and sponges (not a sponge filter) from the main tank when needed. There will be nothing in it when I figure out the sand.
4. Do you quarantine Driftwood for bacteria's or just use the soaking procedures? I wont be able to boil due to no pan/pot big enough.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this

eaglesfan3000
04-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I used a 10 gallon, it wasn't cycled I did a 90% water change everyday and re-medicated. I hardly fed the fish just a small amout of food even when it got it's appetite back. I hope I will never have to do that again.

applekrate
04-08-2012, 02:19 AM
I used a 10 gallon, it wasn't cycled I did a 90% water change everyday and re-medicated. I hardly fed the fish just a small amout of food even when it got it's appetite back. I hope I will never have to do that again.

Good to hear your fish recovered. Ya, I was thinking I should try and figure out setup while everyone's healthy instead of later.

tonytheboss1
04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
:bandana: Never really had one till now. Keep a 29g at the ready for quarentine of sick or new additions. BB with 2 or 3 flat rocks & 100w Eheim/Jager heater. Filtration is a quick switch of 1of my A/C 110's. "T"

applekrate
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
:bandana: Never really had one till now. Keep a 29g at the ready for quarentine of sick or new additions. BB with 2 or 3 flat rocks & 100w Eheim/Jager heater. Filtration is a quick switch of 1of my A/C 110's. "T"

Thanks for the info "T"
I will set the tank back up and cycle it for the new fish.