PDA

View Full Version : Discus laid eggs ?????

sknghiem
04-07-2012, 04:35 PM
My female discus laid eggs every two weeks. The thing is I have only two discuss in a 55 gallons tank. One is female for sure caused it laid egs the other one I am not sure of. The eggs ended up with mold on them or got eaten. Is it possible for a female to lay eggs on her own without a male in the tank.
Thanks for your input

rdiscus
04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
One alone can't, but Yes ... two female can lay eggs

sknghiem
04-07-2012, 04:56 PM
So if I want the eggs to hatch do I need to get a male? I am sorry if I sound dumb but female lays egg does not make sense to me if there isn't a male in the tank.

Eddie
04-07-2012, 11:57 PM
So if I want the eggs to hatch do I need to get a male? I am sorry if I sound dumb but female lays egg does not make sense to me if there isn't a male in the tank.

How old are the fish and what is the strain/type of the fish? The other could be a male and maybe just not of age yet (he doesn't know what to do with it). LOL If you know for sure you have 2 females, then yes, you will want to find a confirmed male. This does not mean she will accept him or vise versa but it is the logical step.

See if you can watch them closely when the female does her runs (lays) and watch to see if the other is just following and not laying. Then more than likely, could be a male just not ready yet.