PDA

View Full Version : Help With New Tank

Poco
04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Greetings all,

I have been keeping fish off and on for about 10 years. You can say I have some experience with freshwater fish having kept angels, cichlids, koi (in pond) and some live bearers. Now I have decided to try my luck with king of the aquarium, Discus of course

In the past couple of months I have been researching extensively. I have to say SD is the most valuable resource I have found, not only due to the excellent post/thread but due to wealth of knowledge that all of you are willing to share. Hands down it is the best, especially for someone like me who is venturing into the unknown.

I have decided to go with a 90g BB tank and need your help to decide what equipment to go with.

Below is my shortlist, your views/recommendations please

HOB Filter - 2 x Aqua Clear 110

Nitrate Filter - Aquaripure Medium (50-130g)

Heater - 2 x Eheim Jager Submersible Aquarium Heater 250 watt

pH Tester - Hanna Instruments HI 98103B
or HI 98128W pH and Temperature Tester

TDS Meter - Hanna Primo Conductivity TDS

I need your help with what to use for;

Temperature readings - alcohol based or digital

Best for checking levels of Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates

Thanks.

tonytheboss1
04-08-2012, 03:19 PM
:bandana: I imagine a digital thermometer will be a tad more accurate. (+/- 1-2 degrees). As to chkng the parameters, my trusty API master liquid test kit hasn't failed me yet. Salifert makes individual tests for a number of different parameters. They're good but pricey. "T"

Poco
04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks Tony

Mep1127
04-08-2012, 03:59 PM
You seem to have good stuff so far. I use an API freshwater master test kit to check water parameters. I also use a sybon digital thermometer to see my water temps. Its pretty accurate and easy to read when you approach the tank. You should avoid the dip stick test strips for water... they are very inaccurate. Good luck in your discus keeping!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/sybon-digital-submersible-thermometer-freshwater

Poco
04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks Mep

Poco
04-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Just to clarify, The shortlist above is actually my shopping list. If you guys agree with the it I will get them.

Mep1127
04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Just to clarify, The shortlist above is actually my shopping list. If you guys agree with the it I will get them.

Yeah you have a good list... although those pH testers can be a pretty penny. You could save yourself some extra bucks if you buy the API master freshwater kit. It has low and high ph tests. You might not need the nitrate filter either. Just wait to have an established filter and the good bacteria should take care of the rest.

Poco
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mario. the reason I am thinking about the nitrate filter is because I travel quite a bit for work and might not be able to keep up with the water changes.

Mep1127
04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mario. the reason I am thinking about the nitrate filter is because I travel quite a bit for work and might not be able to keep up with the water changes.

Gotcha. Not sure how well the nitrate filters work.... just make sure you have some vodka for the filter... and yourself lol!

Cevoe
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Poco,
In my opinion I would tweak the list a little.
The Aquaclear filters and Jager heaters are what I would get and they are what I use.
You will also need some air in the tank and would suggest a couple of sponge filters.
You will also need some lighting. If I were buying a new set-up I would probably go with led's.
Milwakee makes a decent combo meter for around 150 bucks that tests ph, tds & conductivity. (I believe its a number 801 or 802)
There are other good combo testers I'm sure but I can only speak of what I use.
On that note, I've always used the Tetra kits and still do for amonia, nitrites, nitrates & hardness.
I would not consider a nitrate filter at all.
Just figure how many and what size discus you plan on getting in relation to what kind of water changing routine you are willing to commit to.
Personally (and budget permitting) I would get eight or ten fish at least 4-1/2" to start and figure water changes no less than every other day at 50 to 75%.
I would also set up at least a 40 gallon side tank for quarantine and hospital.
Good luck to you in getting started.

DiscusOnly
04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Here is what you can start out with. All can be purchased from one of the sponsor here. You can probably do the entire order from Kensfish and save in shipping.

One AC110 (I think two is an overkill. Going to be putting too much current in the tank)
2 Jager heater is fine (250watts eatch is sufficient).
Two ATI Pro V sponge filter (I suggest this over a 2nd AC110)
Water conditioner (SAFE or Prime)
The media that comes with the AC110 is fine. Just don't use the carbon. If you want, you can order an extra bag of bio-ring

strawberryblonde
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM

So long as you choose sub-adults (4" is a good size to start with) then leaving for short trips shouldn't be a problem. You just stop feeding 24 hours before you leave, and then do a large water change just before leaving. They will do fine without food for a few days. No nitrate filter needed.

Poco
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you, all of your comments have been really helpful.

DonMD
04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree about not using the nitrate filter ~ if you travel often, just do a big w/c before leaving and dial way back any auto feeders (hmmm, I didn't see any auto feeders on your list . . .). I also think the sponge filters are important. Once they've been cycled, they can be pulled and put into a QT tank, and you've got an instantly cycled QT tank. I use the API test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, they're very reliable. I agree that kensfish have great prices and reasonable shipping, and he's always fast. Good luck.