PDA

View Full Version : Best discus size for newbie?

blakeallred
04-08-2012, 07:20 PM
What is the best discus fish size (on a budget) you would recommend to someone just starting out with discus? If I had the money I would go full grown, but I don't lol. I was thinking half grown so they show colors, but are still growing and are cheaper. However, I also want them to be relatively easy to care for compared to baby ones if you know what I mean. Would about 3 inches be the size I'm looking for?

Eddie
04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
What is the best discus fish size (on a budget) you would recommend to someone just starting out with discus? If I had the money I would go full grown, but I don't lol. I was thinking half grown so they show colors, but are still growing and are cheaper. However, I also want them to be relatively easy to care for compared to baby ones if you know what I mean. Would about 3 inches be the size I'm looking for?

I'd say 3.5-4 inches is a good route for a beginner. Too young and you might run itno trouble. As sub-adults or older juvies, they seem more robust and can deal with stress better. One thing I'll point out, is if you are on a budget now, you have take into account the cost of keeping the fish too.

tonytheboss1
04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
:bandana: Agree w/ Eddie. Also budget wise, know that you'll need to purchase at least 5 or 6 for them to thrive. Not sure what size set-up you're thinking but 75g or better would be a good start. Plan it out carefully & take your time before you dive in. It'll be less stressful for them & you! "T"

discuspaul
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
As big as your budget allows, to get at least 5, preferably 6.
But get them from a good source - don't be tempted to get fish from a questionable source just because the price is good.

Swancici
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree with the people above me. what your budget allows you too. But I would start with 6. They are not a cheap fish that's for sure. Get the discus from one of the sponsore here. For me I am a newbe too and I have a 115 gallon and going to get 10 discus around 3.5-4inch as that's my budget.