View Full Version : Blue diamond vs blue diamond SS?

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey everyone. So i have been looking into getting some blue diamonds and i saw that mike beals, has blue diamond SS. But in the pics i saw of them in last months shippment they looked a little lighter.But i saw a pic of a larger one (maybe 5"-6") and had a really nice blue (ill post the link so you can see the pic) and i wanted to know will the blue diamond and blue diamond SS have the same amout of blue, like color tone wise? And what is that blue diamond SS crossed with to make it have the SS? In this pic it looked REALLY nice and i want to know if anyone has or have the blue diamond SS to compair with :) http://www.centralohiodiscus.com/index.htm Scroll down on the home page and you'll find it. Thanks

-Matt

tonytheboss1
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
:bandana: Have ya talked to Mike??

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
:bandana: Have ya talked to Mike??
Not yet lol. Figured ill ask you guys first. Right now he is busy takin pics of his discus to post under his april shippment http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95531-APRIL-2012-FISH-TRADE-ZONE-SHIPMENT-IN-READY-TO-GO!!!&highlight=

BrandyK
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
what is that blue diamond SS crossed with to make it have the SS?

-Matt[/QUOTE]

Blue diamond x Snake Skin

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I loved seeing those pictures again. I saw many of those fish in person at NADA. It brought back good memories.

Is the BD/SS fish you are refering to the "Diamond SS"? It was the best fish in the show and would have been BIS had it been entered in open rather than fine line.

The intensity of the blue depends on the genetics of the fish. Some are pale blue, others are a darker blue. SS/BDs are called Blue Scorpions. You get them by breeding a BD, Flachen, or Colbalt to a SS. They vary as far as pattern. Some have a lot of striations, some are mostly solid except for the fins and gill plate. They are my favorite cross.

You can get the same thing in red by breeding a SS to a brown based Red. Eddie had some. They took my breath away.

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I loved seeing those pictures again. I saw many of those fish in person at NADA. It brought back good memories.

Is the BD/SS fish you are refering to the "Diamond SS"? It was the best fish in the show and would have been BIS had it been entered in open rather than fine line.

The intensity of the blue depends on the genetics of the fish. Some are pale blue, others are a darker blue. SS/BDs are called Blue Scorpions. You get them by breeding a BD, Flachen, or Colbalt to a SS. They vary as far as pattern. Some have a lot of striations, some are mostly solid except for the fins and gill plate. They are my favorite cross.

You can get the same thing in red by breeding a SS to a brown based Red. Eddie had some. They took my breath away.
That red SS would be sweet. Would they be the darker blue as little ones to? As in 3-4"? Or do i have to wait for it to be older for me to know it will be one of the darker?

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
The intensity of the blue depends on the genetics of the fish.

magewynd
04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Hey Liz,

Thanks for the idea. I got a couple of AltumSS from Mike to go with my BdSS and LSS to get some shape. I've got a nice virgin red I might try instead.

TNT77
04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
That is a great idea Liz. I have some scarlet snakes x lss coming in I was going to cross one with my cobalt but a red based fish cross would be stunning. What would you suggest for something like that?

magewynd
04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Tara,
Did you get some of those big boys from John?

That is a great idea Liz. I have some scarlet snakes x lss coming in I was going to cross one with my cobalt but a red based fish cross would be stunning. What would you suggest for something like that?

TNT77
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Tara,
Did you get some of those big boys from John?
Yes I did. :)

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I've never done it, so I can't say. It would be best to work with a Red Snake rather than a blue based. A cross to a Virgin Red might produce some good results. Of course, everything depends on the quality of the breeding stock.

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey Liz,

Thanks for the idea. I got a couple of AltumSS from Mike to go with my BdSS and LSS to get some shape. I've got a nice virgin red I might try instead.
Did you get your Blue diamond SS from mike as well?

I've never done it, so I can't say. It would be best to work with a Red Snake rather than a blue based. A cross to a Virgin Red might produce some good results. Of course, everything depends on the quality of the breeding stock.
And i am talking about getting the BD SS from Mike beals. Heres the link of this months shippment http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95531-APRIL-2012-FISH-TRADE-ZONE-SHIPMENT-IN-READY-TO-GO!!!&highlight=
But the BD SS pics have not been posted yet so heres the ones he had last month witch might be the same ones http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94570-NEW-MARCH-2012-quot-FISHTRADEZONE-quot-SHIPMENT-IS-READY-TO-GO!!!!!&highlight= So if you want to take a look at the pics and tell me how good of genetics/ how good the blue is on these ones, that would be great. Thanks :D

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I cannot tell you what you want to know. I am not the breeder. If you like them, buy them. If you don't like them don't buy them.

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I cannot tell you what you want to know. I am not the breeder. If you like them, buy them. If you don't like them don't buy them.
Ok, i was just wondering if you could tell if those are good ones. Like as good as the ones youve seen at shows and stuff.

magewynd
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Did you get your Blue diamond SS from mike as well?

No, I got them from Kraig (Kingdom Come) awhile ago. They are actually BD scorpions, less body pattern but more around the face.

Okay, here's the deal. Mike always has pretty nice fish. His tank shot are pretty good so you know what you are going to get. Jeff's bucket shots are good too. You are going to have to learn and decide what you like. Then when you see something that really catches your eye then go for it.

If I were you, I would goggle the NADA judges sheet. Read it, study it, inhale it. Know it like the back of your hand. Then look how John, Jim and the others rate the fish in the Simply University section. Then google the past discus shows in Asia and Europe. Study the winners, look for the differences between the first, second and third place. Pretty soon you will know what is good and decide what types YOU LIKE.

And i am talking about getting the BD SS from Mike beals. So if you want to take a look at the pics and tell me how good of genetics/ how good the blue is on these ones, that would be great. Thanks :D s

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
s
S?

Eddie
04-09-2012, 06:04 PM

:) I miss those Liz....want to make some of my own using a wild X SS. One day when I have the stock, space and time. :)

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
:) I miss those Liz....want to make some of my own using a wild X SS. One day when I have the stock, space and time. :)
That would be cool :)

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I miss you having them, Eddie. Those fish were something to behold. I watched them from when they were young until they were big. Absolutely beautiful fish.

You'll only be in Spain for 2 years. Hardly enough time to start a breeding project. A good wild red Brown crossed with a fine SS should produce some beautiful fish.

Eddie
04-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I miss you having them, Eddie. Those fish were something to behold. I watched them from when they were young until they were big. Absolutely beautiful fish.

You'll only be in Spain for 2 years. Hardly enough time to start a breeding project. A good wild red Brown crossed with a fine SS should produce some beautiful fish.

I know....maybe the next place I go. At least I will get to have some fish here. :)

Altum Nut
04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok, i was just wondering if you could tell if those are good ones. Like as good as the ones youve seen at shows and stuff.

Matt the soccer man...
You keep saying your only 14 yrs old with limited supply of money. Show quality discus come with a hefty price tag.
I would just keep stock you have and work with them. Once you have a part time job and gather more money and experience you can acquire show quality stock.
Make the right and wise choice young grass-hopper.

...Ralph

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Matt the soccer man...
You keep saying your only 14 yrs old with limited supply of money. Show quality discus come with a hefty price tag.
I would just keep stock you have and work with them. Once you have a part time job and gather more money and experience you can acquire show quality stock.

...Ralph

Ok thanks for the advise Ralph. Its just that i want some show quality discus sooo bad, right now lol. Im no good with be patient. And ill try to keep working what with i have till i got a job ;)

LizStreithorst
04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I got smart. I decided not to waste my time on him. I put him on "ignore".

Matt the soccer man...

...Ralph

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I got smart. I decided not to waste my time on him. I put him on "ignore".
Me? :(

magewynd
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
So Matt,
Tell us what you think a show quality discus is. What should you be looking for in a good blue diamond for example?

Ok thanks for the advise Ralph. Its just that i want some show quality discus sooo bad, right now lol. Im no good with be patient. And ill try to keep working what with i have till i got a job ;)

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
So Matt,
Tell us what you think a show quality discus is. What should you be looking for in a good blue diamond for example?
Well first i would look at its body shape and the way its acting (swimming wise). Then i would look at how it is expressing its colors and then if i like how his colors look...

magewynd
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I didn't say what you are looking at, I said what are you looking for. Describe it.

Well first i would look at its body shape and the way its acting (swimming wise). Then i would look at how it is expressing its colors and then if i like how his colors look...

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I didn't say what you are looking at, I said what are you looking for. Describe it.
Im looking for a nice BD or BD SS with a nice deeper blue and a nice body shape...

magewynd
04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
is the coloring solid throughout the whole body? If it is an SS, what should the pattern be like? Describe a nice body. Is it round , oval, high body, high fin or what? What about the placement of the fins? Is the body equal on both sides when you look at it head on? What's the placement of the eyes like? Are they red or are they yellow/gold? Do you know what color they should be?

Im looking for a nice BD or BD SS with a nice deeper blue and a nice body shape...

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
is the coloring solid throughout the whole body? If it is an SS, what should the pattern be like? Describe a nice body. Is it round , oval, high body, high fin or what? What about the placement of the fins? Is the body equal on both sides when you look at it head on? What's the placement of the eyes like? Are they red or are they yellow/gold? Do you know what color they should be?
??? Ok that does not really matter. Ill find a disucs i like when i find it...

magewynd
04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
So what do you keep pi$$ing and moaning for if it's just OK?

??? Ok that does not really matter. Ill find a disucs i like when i find it...

magewynd
04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
How can you want something if you don't even know what it is and too lazy to find out?

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
So what do you keep pi$$ing and moaning for if it's just OK?
What???

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
How can you want something if you don't even know what it is and too lazy to find out?
I just wanted to know what is the differnce in looks between the 2, and i called mike yesterday and he did not asnwer, so i figured ill ask you guys. And asking you guys is not being f**king lazy. So please think your posts out before you post them.

mattsoccer20
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
I just wanted to know what is the differnce in looks between the 2, and i called mike yesterday and he did not asnwer, so i figured ill ask you guys. And asking you guys is not being f**king lazy. So please think your posts out before you post them.
And asking you guys is me trying to figure out what it is intead of "being lazy".

mattsoccer20
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Blue diamond is barless and is solid blue even when it is small.
blue diamond snakeskin is 14 bars cross from blue diamond x snakeskin.
Blue diamond snake will just look like an ordinary blue snake with blue lineswhen it is young but it should grow to be more solid as it grows.

If the blue diamond snake turn to solid as adult it is of better grade and justify to be called blue diamond snake.

It is similar issue when with cobalts except that cobalt is 9 bar thicker pattern.
Oh i see. Thank you for the help :)