View Full Version : Leaves turning black

Eti
04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Hello,

I am trying to get a planted tank.
My set up is:

55g tank
5 discus
T5 HO 24 inches 24w Coralife (Actinic and 10,000) soon to change to colormax and 6,700k
CO2 injection
water change two days (40%)

My leaves are turning black (see pic)Is it because i live the light for too long everyday ( I leave it on about 14 hours a day)?I have substrate, but should I add some nutrients?I heard about Flourish comprehensive supplement, any feedback?
Thanks for your answers guys!

Orange Crush
04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
If you are using lots of light and CO2 then you need fertilizer. Also, 14 hours of light is more than needed. They really only need 8 hours a day but you can do more if you find a way to balance lights/ferts/CO2.
Flourish is a great product.
It is hard to tell by your picture what is going on with the leaves. Anubias however, do not like CO2 and need very little ferts. What other plants do you have in there?

Eti
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your answer!
I have a HC carpet that I am trying to grow, just planted it three days ago, still very green but u don't know when will I see runners from it.
Just got on amazon the flourish, I will let you know the results.
Simple question: I thought the more light the better, why should I limit it to 9 hours only?

Skip
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Anubias is a very slow growning plant prone to the black algae..

What size discus do u have?

Eti
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
They are about 5 to 8 inches... Does it have to do anything with the plants?
Thanks for your answers anyway!

Skip
04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
imho..

you should take out the discus.. and keep them separate from your first attempt at a planted tank.. they may not react well to any kind of changes you will be doing to the tank.. unless you don't care about them and the plants come first..

Larry Bugg
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your answer!
I have a HC carpet that I am trying to grow, just planted it three days ago, still very green but u don't know when will I see runners from it.
Just got on amazon the flourish, I will let you know the results.
Simple question: I thought the more light the better, why should I limit it to 9 hours only?

More light is not always better. It is a balance between light, Co2 and ferts that you have to achieve otherwise you will have a algae farm.