PDA

View Full Version : sodium bicarbonate

smelly
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
ok people I am new to having discus. I now have two, two inch baby Red Fire discus, in a 90gal planted tank .Two large angels , 4 neons , two octos, two yoyo loaches .The plants... 75% is giant sagittaria gigantea, and some sublatia, a small broad leaf sword and a large one . There is duck weed and salvinia. I also have a large branch type cedar root. Filtration is two canisters an eheim and a 405 fuval. Two heaters.
The ph is steady at about 7. My water is from a sand point, the ph is at 6 and there are no minerals, its just a bit too acid. I was wondering if it was ok to use baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate) to adjust my water for water changes.
for the time being I have no nitrates the plantes take care of that...I have to add flourish iron, on a weekly basis. I want to add a bit more nitrates for the plantes .... would like some recomendations. Have been using seachem flourish, a capful every 10 days, and been adding a bit of, Kent Marine R/O Right, to the new water for the water change. with the addition of the discus I have added a small pouch of, peat granules, to the fuval canister. I have yet to see a change from this, since its been only a day, since this writing.

Eddie
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Sodium bicarbonate is fine, another option and extremely concentrated, is Seachem Reef Builder. Its great to buffer your water and not have a great impact on PH. Yes, I've used it with my discus for many years. Its not just for salt/reef tanks. ;)

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ReefBuilder.html