View Full Version : New fish room / hatchery

Carolina discus
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
All....
Here are a few quick pics of what I have been working on...I forgot how huge of a task setting up a new room is!....I had to start completely over collecting tanks, etc....
first step...insulate walls with 1" of polysio roof sheathing insulation and the ceiling with 4".....hope to heat the whole room this time....

I finished 1 of the racks that will house 120's and 75's....all piped for a centray system that can be broken up for QT or meds if needed...
all tanks will have a 1" drain line for quick cleaning ...

Carolina discus
04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
The room is about 40% done...still have to plumb in all the 40g breeders for fry and the 20's and 27 gal cube tanks for pairs....that will be 2 more seperate racks....good thing is I can take it a little at a time and not rush through it!

I was thinking about dividing 75's in half with a glass divider but I fell across these brand new 27 gal cubed tanks...18x18x20 that a dealer got stuck with when I was getting some 75's..... I took all he had....

Carolina discus
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Here is the sump idea I took from Hans's new set up...basically a 200g plywood trough that has a pond liner...will be setting up a poret massive filter ...all the pairs will be divided into 2 rows and have their own poret sumps...
this should help out with water changes....I am anal about water quality!!!!

Thats it for now.....will keep things updated as I progress....

Regards,

eric

CrazyAngels
04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
That's one sweet setup you have going there, I wish I would have spent the time in the beginning with mine to set up drilled tanks so that I could make life a little easier. Luckily with only 10 tanks it's not so bad, and maybe one of these days I shut down and drill them anyway.

Congrats, it sure looks like you'll be having some serious fun.. please do keep us informed.

Carolina discus
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks...will do...
The good thing is I had alot of time to think about all the mistakes I made in the past and redo it the way I wanted...in the last room I had a siphon set up on each tank but it was combersom...now I have the drains plumbed in and when I want to do a lottle siphoning I can use the new "ball type" cleaners that will drain right into the line and out of the room....

one step at a time.....

shoveltrash
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
NICE! can't wait to see the final product with fish :D
(you are going to let me come visit eh? ;) )

Discus-n00b
04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Looks great Eric, can't wait to see it in person! I really like those cube tanks...

John_Nicholson
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Eric looks nice but I have one question/suggestion. On the last picture where you are showing your sump..my guess is that you are going to put 4 tanks on there. I would put at least one cross member to help keep it from spreading in the middle.

Good luck.

-john

Darren's Discus
04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Looks fantastic,can't wait to see more pics !
Cheers

johnnathan
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Eric

very nice setup.. don't forget to show complete system.

Carolina discus
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Matt...I thought the cubes were awesome as well...the guy just had them sitting around for 2 years..I guess he special ordered them but the customer backed out....I think I have an idea what I can put in them!!!!

Thanks guys..many of the ideas I saw came from you John and Darren in your rooms...

John, thanks for the heads up...I am planning 2 cross braces...just didnt put them in yet as I was trying to get the liner laid smoothly....

Will keep updates going as I can.....

Eddie
04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Looking fabulous Eric! Great to see you on here! I was off for a bit but Im glad to be back!

All the best!

David Rose
04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Excited to see you back Eric and can't wait to buy from you again!

Carolina discus
04-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Eddie...great to nhear from you my friend....been a long time for both of us...hope Spain is treating you well..

Daid, thanks..I hope to work with some high end lines like albinos and more pricey strains to offer fry at affordable prices...will keep you posted.

Trish, you will always be welcome!

Talk soon

Eric

ockyra215
04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I like the layout looks clean and smooth! Look forward to see the end result!

kent1963
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Those cubes have got to be about a perfect breeder size. Ive always thought the fish are more relaxed in wider tanks.Nice setup so far I envy all that space!

DonMD
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Gadzooks, and I thought my 7 tanks was almost too much! LOL. Looks like you've got a great system. The drain pipes look like they're hard plumbed over the top and then down inside to near the bottom. Is that right? So if you need to vacuum, how do you manage that? Great job!

Carolina discus
04-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys, been busy at work so havent been able to do everything I wanted this past week...did get the 40g breeders painted, drilled, and plumbed....just adding valve drains now in hopes to test by the weekend....ready for small fish!

Thanks for the comments...Don, that is auctually the fresh water supply to each tank. You may remember in the last rrom I had valved siphons in each tank...worked awesome but it was cumbersom and took up alot of room....this time I am using an 1.5" for the central filter and a valved 1" drain that I can do large water changes in each tank in about 5 mins...then just fill....for siphoning, I am using various home made siphons with the squeeze balls on them to start the siphon.....drains into the main line and outside....
not quite the flow rate as the other way but I am saving a bunch of time with the 1" valve....
gotta start on the breeding rack by the weekend....

Thanks....

shoveltrash
04-25-2012, 05:02 AM
impressive Eric!
really looking forward to seeing the finished product in person :)

btw, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support & help!!!!!

rubinsteinnyc
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
hey, post more pix :)
gluck!

dpete9
04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Great project looks awesome! This is the first time I have heard or seen of the pond liner sump. What a great idea. Makes me want to try that myself.

Carolina discus
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
thanks on the pond liner idea but it came form the one and only Hans...I am just going to change the poret configuration to fit my needs....

Carolina discus
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Here is a pic of the next rack housing some of the 40g breeder tanks for fry...there will be a row of 20H turned long way on top of the 40G's that will be done later.....each is plumber with 1.5" central filter and 1" valved drain line for fast water changes....

Under is the 200g sump for the poret mattenfilter before it goes into the other room where it will run through a large cartridge filter before returning to the tanks....

Will finish the water supply tonight and hopefully run water for a test tomorrow.....

Hope you like

Eric

rubinsteinnyc
04-25-2012, 09:29 PM
those cubes are 18x18x20H or they're 18x20x18H?

Carolina discus
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
20 high...18 width/depth.....

rubinsteinnyc
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
cool, thx :)

Carolina discus
05-03-2012, 12:53 AM
sorry my dimensions were wrong...they are 20"h x 18"w x 20"l

Carolina discus
05-03-2012, 12:56 AM
here is a shot of the first breeding pair rack...half done, next is the water supply and the central drain.....
goal is water test friday...
more 75's to be added under the pairs in time....

rubinsteinnyc
05-04-2012, 11:13 PM
the lower one is for water change and higher is filter inlet?

rubinsteinnyc
05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
btw, did you drill them yourself? if so, what drill bit did you use?

Carolina discus
05-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, for the most part...on the cubes, the higher 1" bulkhead is the central filter and the lower 1" bulkhead is for fast water changes....on the other 2 on the end...they were already drilled when I found them with a 1" bulkheadvery close to the bottom...on those I have used that for the central filter...the higher one will be for water changes...I dont like to drill too low in case there is a break or leak and the tank will only drain 75% or so...the fish will still be in 8-10" of water.....just a phobia of mine...
yes, I drilled everything with a hand drill....I get 99% of my stuff from Jehmco...the standard drill bits are A+...you can find cheaper ones on ebay but you will be sorry in the end....here is a link http://jehmco.com/html/glass_drills.html

drilling is very easy...just stressfull...I use a piece of plywood as a template that has a hole in it....I take some plumbers putty and make a "rope circle" with it and pour water into that....then I start the bit at a slight angle in the water and go from there....just let the bit do the work....dont push too hard.....I took an old 20 g and practiced on that for several holes....

let me know if you want some pics and I will take a few....
Eric

rubinsteinnyc
05-05-2012, 12:51 AM
let you know if i want pix? dear sir... upload as much as you can :)
I am in a process of collecting panes of glass, i will make about 20inch cubes (do not know if i will have a central system or an air pump running mattefilter/sponges) out of it and make my own fish tanks for pairs and some 75gal community tanks- that's the dream, gotta graduate first (in 13 days YAY!)
your project is looking awesome, i kinda envy you, can't wait for that retirement when ill have all the time i need and my basement will be a fishroom, two plywood tanks (800 gallons each, one amazon biotope with wild discus, angelfish, stingrays and one tanganyika biotope) in the living room and garden full of fancy and homing pigeons.
back to the topic, please post as many progress pix as you can :)
thanks

mmorris
05-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I'll be following this with great interest. Looks great and keep the pics coming! :)

Eddie
05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I'll be following this with great interest. Looks great and keep the pics coming! :)

+1 looks phenomenal!

Carolina discus
05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I will work on some pics just as soon as I can...drilling is a very easy process...just a little stressful as mentioned!

Martha,
Hope you have been well...I have been watching you and your fish...great job!....are you still working with the blue sapphires and the albino goldens?
Talk with you soon...

Eddie...great to hear you are in Spain....hopefully you will have your feet on the ground for some time....I saw you are getti ng some new fish soon...best of luck to you...
I have some nice stock I am starting to work with ...Kenny and Forrest are the best to me!
I will release some pics when the time gets close...
stay safe

Eric

rubinsteinnyc
05-17-2012, 02:17 AM
any updates ? :)

rubinsteinnyc
05-27-2012, 07:41 PM
any updates ? :)

Carolina discus
05-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry...been busy will growing out fish and new pairs with fry....let me try to take some pics...

spiffyfish
05-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Do you get you bulkheads from jehmco as well?

rubinsteinnyc
06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
bump

Keith Perkins
06-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Glad to see you back Eric.

Carolina discus
06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Keith...thanks, hope you have been well. Finally working on some strains I have been growing out....got several pairs forming and carrying.

Yes...I get all the supplies from Jehmco....John and Kathy are the best!

rubinsteinnyc
08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
any pix yet? :)

Juliah09
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
That's kind of where my mind is going with hatchery and breeding and a fish room as well... Hmmm...

DiscusLoverJeff
10-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Might be time for your monthly update Eric!!

I am interested in what you have going and the progression rate since your last photos. I know we talked, but pictures tell more than a phone conversation, Lol.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

jawfish
11-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Eric, you've been keeping us waiting for too long;)

any updates ?

Carolina discus
11-13-2012, 09:51 PM
All,
Hope everyone has been well...I havent been staying on top of the develop of the room...been really busy at work and at the hatchery...I will get some pics in the next few weeks as I add the large central mattenfilter ...should have it running by the end of the month
please check out my sponser section to see where all my time has been going when not traveling!
Thanks

jawfish
11-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I will get some pics in the next few weeks as I add the large central mattenfilter ...should have it running by the end of the month

Ok you really pick my interest there.

Cheers,

Fred