PDA

View Full Version : QT cycling and fertilizer

applekrate
04-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I was thinking of trying the Miracle gro method to cycle my QT tank. My question is if I use the seachem Flourish™ comprehensive fertilizer (because I have it already) will it do the same thing as Miracle gro to cycle my tank?

Eddie
04-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I was thinking of trying the Miracle grow method to cycle my QT tank. My question is if I use the seachem Flourish™ comprehensive fertilizer (because I have it already) will it do the same thing as Miracle grow to cycle my tank?

Depends on the ingredients of the comprehensive fert. Does it match or come close to that of miracle grow?

applekrate
04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Let me google and get back on that. Is there a specific ingredient I look for or do all the ingredients work together?

jimg
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
so much safer and easier to use ace hardware ammonia. along with safe start or dr timms if you don't want to wait more than a week

applekrate
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Eddie-

Here’s a link to the miracle gro ingredients:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ingredients_of_miracle_grow

Here’s a link to the Seachem comprehensive:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

Jimg-

Thanks, I may end up doing so but I have the seachem aquarium fertilizer on hand so I was hoping it was something to consider.

applekrate
04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I realize that in low doses Miracle gro may put stuff in the tank you dont want so thats kinda why I was asking about the Seachem products. Ingredients in seachem are aquarium safe. Not sure if they work the same to cycle the tank.

Eddie
04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
There are different types of miracle grow with specific ratios so the numbers might be important as far as nitrogen amounts.

DonMD
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Just a note on the Miracle gro ~ I've used it successfully before, but it's got a lot of color dye, and for a long time I was sucking up little spots of blue when cleaning the sand substrate. It works, that was my only beef. Now I'm cycling with Ace Ammonia, and at 3.5 weeks in, I'm getting very strong nitrite readings. It just takes a while.

applekrate
04-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info Eddie and Don. All GTK info.