PDA

View Full Version : Dutchie seeking help

Rastaban
04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi everybody,

I am located in the Netherlands and would like to ask for some help with my planned setup. After finally finishing school (3rd masters degree) I am ready to commit to a time consuming hobby and I would like to setup a discus tank. I have been thinking about this for a long time but I was never able to commit to it earlier. I seached the entire site and read several newby pages and I am left with five key specific questions

Planning to have a new aquarium build by one of two local builders and have narrowed it down to two options.

Option 1) a full glass aquarium (regular glass 12mm thick) inner size 200 cm wide x 70 cm deep x 70 cm high
this will result in a aquarium outer size of 204 cm wide x 74 cm deep x 80 cm high and consists of 980 nett liters or 258 gallons.
Positives: Experience (parents always had full glass aquariums), a 3 year guarantee, visibility through all sides
Negatives: More expensive, weaker warmth retention

Option 2) a wooden aquarium, created with multiplex, a specific coating similar to epoxy. Only the front would contain glass (covered in a wooden frame). Inner size 200 cm wide x 70 cm deep x 70 cm high, outer size would be 208 cm wide x 76 cm deep x 82 cm wide.
Positives: Better warmth retention, cheaper (25%) and rather popular for “odd-size” aquariums, easier to relocate as its wood with only one side glass
Negatives: hardly any guarantee, only front view possible

Doubting to go for bare bottom, probably will for the first year with a couple of potted plants.

My remaining questions are:

• Would you recommend the full glass aquarium or the wooden one.
• I would like to perform the filtration through a sump/refugium due to past experience with saltwater sumps and as it eases the water changes. Would a 100 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm sump suffice or can I better upscale it to 150 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm
• If I chose the full glass aquarium, it will be placed in the living room against a light - orange wall. I prefer not to place a back wall in the tank as it is rather expensive (EUR 300 or more) nor do I like DIY. I would like to have the back of the wall painted (outside side of the glass). The aquarium builder recommends either light-blue or black. My preference for the back wall goes to black, can this have a negative effect on the color of the discus such as darkening? The ground will be light sand
• What would be the best appropriate power-head capacity from the sump to the aquarium,
• I want to end up with 9 local bred discus It will be the first time that I keep discus, buying them at a size of 8 cm each. Should I anticipate losses with my purchase and buy extra’s, I do not want to have jumbo’s nor do I care about runts and just want to have a nice healthy discus aquarium. The desired fish are:
o 4x either blue diamond or cobalt discus
o 4x either leopard spotted discus or red turquoise discus
o 1x pigeon discus
o 6x keyhole cichlids (from past aquarium)
o 25x Rummy nose tetra or 25 Kardinals
o 15x Corydoras (from past aquarium)
o 200x fireshrimps (from past aquarium currently with keyhole cichlids who cannot even dent the population)

Thanks for your help!

Orange Crush
04-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I would use an acrylic tank. You can view through all sides, it is better insulated than glass, it is stronger and lighter than glass and does not have that horrible blue/green tint that glass does. The only downfall is that it scratches more easily. However, you can buff out any scratches and scratches on the inside usually do not show when the tank has water in it.
I would not recommend a black backround because it will cause your discus to be darker and some strains (PB based) will "pepper" which many people find unsightly. Go for the lt blue.

Eddie
04-13-2012, 02:10 AM
I would not recommend a black backround because it will cause your discus to be darker and some strains (PB based) will "pepper" which many people find unsightly. Go for the lt blue.

Actually, the bottom plays a greater role in the color of the fish. A black background with a light bottom, or sand will make the color of the fish show very well.

Here is an example from Mmorris (Martha)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46932&d=1240527331

Orange Crush
04-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Actually, the bottom plays a greater role in the color of the fish. A black background with a light bottom, or sand will make the color of the fish show very well.

Here is an example from Mmorris (Martha)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46932&d=1240527331
Interesting. I have a black backround and use white sand. I notice that when my discus get close to the back of the tank they get darker and when they are closer to the front they color up. I wish I did not have a black bg on the tank but I bought it before I knew anything about discus.

Eddie
04-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Interesting. I have a black backround and use white sand. I notice that when my discus get close to the back of the tank they get darker and when they are closer to the front they color up. I wish I did not have a black bg on the tank but I bought it before I knew anything about discus.

Many different variables that can affect their coloring or shade. Im assuming your light fixture is set to light the back of the tank?

Orange Crush
04-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Many different variables that can affect their coloring or shade. Im assuming your light fixture is set to light the back of the tank?
Yes the light fixture is pushed all the way to the back.

Eddie
04-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Yes the light fixture is pushed all the way to the back.

I figured it was, its their way of trying to blend into the background as you mentioned as to avoid the light. Kind of like a stressor, so when they are out in front, they are more comfortable.

Orange Crush
04-13-2012, 02:40 AM
I figured it was, its their way of trying to blend into the background as you mentioned as to avoid the light. Kind of like a stressor, so when they are out in front, they are more comfortable.
Yup, that's why I wish I did not have a black backround. :(

Eddie
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Yup, that's why I wish I did not have a black backround. :(

Put the light in the center. LOL

Orange Crush
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Put the light in the center. LOL
*facepalm*