PDA

View Full Version : About to make some home made beefheart but...

Mep1127
04-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Well i've been feeding sallys san fran beefheart ( not sure how well it stacks to store brought beefheart for growth ) but i run out quickly and it's a little pricy. With so many different beefheart recipes not sure what recipe to follow and what things to mix in. How this sound though:

Spinach
Vitamins? ( centrum ok?)
Carrots?
Banana
Some pellets or flakes
Garlic
spirulina powder

I'll take suggestions on other ingredients, how to prep and anything in between :o How should the consistency be after I blend it? When i feed the san fran beefheart i usually thaw it in water and stir it so each discus eats it by the chunk piece. Also looking for natural color/growth additives without shrimp or astaxanthin powder as the shrimp and or flakes should be the only negligible amount if any. ( sorry i've yellow and white discus!) Thanks in advance for any feedback.

yim11
04-13-2012, 12:10 AM
You may want to consider any salt water fish as a shrimp substitute, tuna (per Eddie) is great but not cheap :) . Personally I'd skip the carrots. I run mine through the small screen on a Kitchen Aid mixer processor twice so the consistency is very fine.

HTHs,
-jim

Mep1127
04-13-2012, 12:14 AM
You may want to consider any salt water fish as a shrimp substitute, tuna (per Eddie) is great but not cheap :) . Personally I'd skip the carrots. I run mine through the small screen on a Kitchen Aid mixer processor twice so the consistency is very fine.

HTHs,
-jim

what about cod fillets? I have some in my freezer or do they have to be the kind you see sitting on ice in the market? I thought carrots might be a nice little color booster :( lol. I guess ill have to make a "chunky" and "fine" batch to see what the discus like.

yim11
04-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Cod would work, the thought is that freshwater fish could harbor parasites that might transfer to the discus whereas saltwater fish should not have that issue. My thought on x'ing the carrots was for the color aspect since you were trying to keep the reds/orange from the fish<?>. Peas would work too.

Mep1127
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Cod would work, the thought is that freshwater fish could harbor parasites that might transfer to the discus whereas saltwater fish should not have that issue. My thought on x'ing the carrots was for the color aspect since you were trying to keep the reds/orange from the fish<?>. Peas would work too.

Sorry i meant FLOUNDER! And another brainfart with the carrots.... yea totally right with that, reminded me of a time a friend ate so many carrots she turned orange.. deff dont want that with my discus LOL.

Eddie
04-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Spinach - I'd go with Collard Greens, more calcium and better absorption.
Vitamins? ( centrum ok?) - Centrum is fine, the liquid is preferred
Carrots - Carrots are great, depends though, they can make your fish orangey. I used it a lot with my reds along with paprika.
Banana - Used plenty of bananas, a good way is to have it SUPER ripe
Some pellets or flakes - Good thing, acts as a binder
Garlic - Fresh crushed garlic is great
spirulina powder - if you want

As Jim mentioned, using any saltwater fish is good, I like to use tuna or cod is fine. Shrimp is good and works as a binder. Mussels are also if you can get them processed enough.

Mep1127
04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks jim and ed... Always answering my questions :). Now off to la carneceria lol