PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose cat fish

krislewis3
04-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Hey guys, I just got my first bristlenose cat fish!!!! Its a baby, so Im not sure if its male or female (Im hoping for a male). My question is.... Do I need to upgrade my 40 gallon tank to a larger one? I have 4 juvinile discus, 2 bolivian rams, and now Ive added the 1 bristle nose cat. Can anyone give me any advise concerning the new addition? Is there a way to sex it prior to it growing the mustash? I am anxiously awaiting replys.......

CrazyAngels
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
IMHO, I believe it depends on your WC sched and filtration. Per norm, you would be at the overstock now, but if the right conditions are present, you would not need to upgrade yet. BN cats can not be sexed until they are around 3 inches in length as they begin to show their bristles, and for that it takes quite a few months, I've had some take 9 months before I could tell.

HTH

Eddie
04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to add, make sure you quarantine.

CrazyAngels
04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to add, make sure you quarantine.

+1, specially when bringing in cats that would be potentially wild.

krislewis3
04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I wish you had added that tip a little sooner......Yes, I plopped the néw cat fish in with my discus!!!!! Just after that little reminder..I pulled him out, and put him in quarantine!! He had been in there for 15 hours or so. Hope I didnt screw anything up!! I don't know where I left my thinking cap!'
I did upgrade to a 60 gallon tank. I plan to take my time cycling it prior to making it a home to anyone!! Any tips, or reminders are appreciated.....

Eddie
04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I wish you had added that tip a little sooner......Yes, I plopped the néw cat fish in with my discus!!!!! Just after that little reminder..I pulled him out, and put him in quarantine!! He had been in there for 15 hours or so. Hope I didnt screw anything up!! I don't know where I left my thinking cap!'
I did upgrade to a 60 gallon tank. I plan to take my time cycling it prior to making it a home to anyone!! Any tips, or reminders are appreciated.....

Tips on the cycling?

CrazyAngels
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
If you have 2 filters setup on the other tank, you could transfer media onto the filter on your new tank, I have found this to expedite cycling of the tanks. This is how I jump start a new tank when I need one in a hurry.

krislewis3
04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Should I just put the existing filter cartridge in the new power filter?

Eddie
04-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Should I just put the existing filter cartridge in the new power filter?

Yup

krislewis3
04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Then that's what I'll do......thank u