PDA

View Full Version : Pre filter question

krislewis3
04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Excuse my inexperience......lt is my understanding that a pre-filter is simply a sponge that is put over the intake tube of my power filter!!! If this is correct......what is the right type of sponge???

-gb-
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
yes & http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27064-Prefilter-Sponge&p=880540&highlight=#post880540

see the last post by warlock.

Eddie
04-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Excuse my inexperience......lt is my understanding that a pre-filter is simply a sponge that is put over the intake tube of my power filter!!! If this is correct......what is the right type of sponge???

It actually doesn't have to be a sponge. Some using womens stocking or fine filter bags. All the rest of the info, you can get in the link above.

1Chuck9669
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi Kris,

This is what I did for my Rena xp4:

I still need to add a few more pics, coming right up!

1Chuck9669
04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Here are the last pic's

OK, now that the pic's are loaded, I simply took a sponge filter designed for 10g, disassembeld it, made sure the canister filter intake tube fit closely, used aquarium silicone to fill in the sponge filter uplift fitting, inserted the canister filter uplift tube, waited 24 hours to cure, and now I have a fully functioning pre-filter that looks professional. I clean (squeeze) the pre-filter one to two times a week, depending upon how dirty it is. If you have no flow through your canister filter, it is past time to clean (LOL). This method has worked for me for about four years now. I hope this helps answer your pre-filter question!

Have a great weekend!!!

dprais1
04-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I have aquaclear and use a fluval filter I found at pet supplies plus as a prefilter. It is black and very small, you barely notice it. Doesn't provide much surface area but does a great job and no modifications needed. I believe it is marketed for the fluval edge.

discuspaul
04-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I have aquaclear and use a fluval filter I found at pet supplies plus as a prefilter. It is black and very small, you barely notice it. Doesn't provide much surface area but does a great job and no modifications needed. I believe it is marketed for the fluval edge.

You got it right - and it's the best for AC's.

CrazyAngels
04-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Also Kensfish, one of the forum sponsors, has in his website pre-filters made by ATI under the sponge filter section.

krislewis3
04-14-2012, 08:16 AM
I need something that will fit over the intake tube on my marineland power filter that hangs on the back of my new 60 gallon. Is this power filter appropriate for discus?

k7prz
04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I like the larger surface area of the Aqua Clear hang-on-back filters. Now if I could just get them
to quiet down! Someone mentioned baby discus will be attracted to dark items rather then the parents
when they are feeding slime to the fry. Most of my prefilters are quite dark. I guess I could slip a lighter
colored cotton sleeve it. Part of an old T-shirt? (Not recently washed in Tide, of course.)

Dave near Portland

jimg
04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
when i have fry if I don't have enough pre filter sponges I wrap filter floss and rubber band it

stac545
04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I use quilt & pillow batting, cut a small square of it and rubber band it around the intake. Cheap and easy to clean.

Stacy

Eddie
04-15-2012, 11:56 AM
I need something that will fit over the intake tube on my marineland power filter that hangs on the back of my new 60 gallon. Is this power filter appropriate for discus?

What model is the filter?

krislewis3
04-16-2012, 06:18 AM
I use a marineland, penguin power filter, which uses 2 filter cartriges and that claims to filter for up to a 90 gallon tank. My tank is 60 gallons. Do you think this is acceptable? I have been toying with the idea of a cannester filter, but because I just purchased the penguin, Id like to use it for the time being. Please advise!!!!!

Steve_B
04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I use a marineland, penguin power filter, which uses 2 filter cartriges and that claims to filter for up to a 90 gallon tank. My tank is 60 gallons. Do you think this is acceptable? I have been toying with the idea of a cannester filter, but because I just purchased the penguin, Id like to use it for the time being. Please advise!!!!!

If your worried that it's not enough, you could always add a sponge filter. This will also help move water and oxygen levels, they are cheap and maintaining them is a breeze!

Eddie
04-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Is it the 350 or 200 model? Should be fine and as suggested, throw a sponge filter in there too.

krislewis3
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Please describe a sponge filter...and where do I get one....

krislewis3
04-23-2012, 06:47 AM
Can i use any sponge? If not...what kind do you suggest?

Skip
04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Can i use any sponge? If not...what kind do you suggest?

i believe eddie is saying the cartridge are worthless.. and to put in some kind of sponge material, ie. you will modify your filter for your needs.. there are lots of safe aquarium sponge material that you can put into slots where the "filter cartridges" go in..

krislewis3
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
How exactly do they work?? I've seen them in photos, and I can see the air tubing hooked up to them...but there must be more to it.....enlighten me...

krislewis3
04-24-2012, 04:28 AM
I saw the fluvial pre filters, and am now using one in my 40gallon tank. I'm having trouble finding one for my 60gallon, because the intake tube is soooooo big. For now, I bought a large sponge and cut a hole in it to fit over intake tube. Do you guys think that this non- aquarium sponge will do the job? It seems to be turning brown (yellow sponge).. I assume this means it's working ok...again...your advise is priceless!!!!

Steve_B
04-24-2012, 06:15 AM
How exactly do they work?? I've seen them in photos, and I can see the air tubing hooked up to them...but there must be more to it.....enlighten me...

These sponge filters work by bubbles rising from the middle of them, which pulls water through the sponge and up through the middle, encouraging beneficial bacteria to grow on the sponge.

I saw the fluvial pre filters, and am now using one in my 40gallon tank. I'm having trouble finding one for my 60gallon, because the intake tube is soooooo big. For now, I bought a large sponge and cut a hole in it to fit over intake tube. Do you guys think that this non- aquarium sponge will do the job? It seems to be turning brown (yellow sponge).. I assume this means it's working ok...again...your advise is priceless!!!!

Non aquarium sponges can be fine, as long as they have no additives like anti-bacterial or anti-mildew agents and the like, basically if you rinse it in water and it produces bubbles of some sort its probably not safe. Personally for my fluval 405 intake, I just use a aquaclear 110 sponge that I cut to fit over the intake, and yes it does turn color if its not cleaned every day.

krislewis3
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you guys yet again for all of your help....