PDA

View Full Version : How to determine alpha male?

scarhbar
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
I have heard that even at the small age of 2.5", that a group of discus will create a pecking order. My question is, how will I know the alpha male/female from the rest?

I heard sometimes you can look at their eyes, and the one with the most red eye might be the alpha. I have a Blue Pigeon Blood that has very red eyes (not sure if it is because he is a pigeon blood), but he is the first to eat, and he is the largest in the tank. He also greets me at the glass more often than the others. Does this sound like an alpha of the group?

qiyanfeng
04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
What's the purpose to determine that?

Eddie
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I have heard that even at the small age of 2.5", that a group of discus will create a pecking order. My question is, how will I know the alpha male/female from the rest?

I heard sometimes you can look at their eyes, and the one with the most red eye might be the alpha. I have a Blue Pigeon Blood that has very red eyes (not sure if it is because he is a pigeon blood), but he is the first to eat, and he is the largest in the tank. He also greets me at the glass more often than the others. Does this sound like an alpha of the group?

Nothing will tell you which is the alpha aside from whichever fish is the most aggressive.

cjr8420
04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
alpha male should be the biggest badest discus in the tank sounds like ur blue PB is right now but at that size leaves a bunch of time and growing and can change

roydooms
04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Is it always the male on top of the pecking order?

Skip
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Is it always the male on top of the pecking order?

nope..

there might be 6 females..

Eddie
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
alpha male should be the biggest badest discus in the tank sounds like ur blue PB is right now but at that size leaves a bunch of time and growing and can change

Actually doesn't have to be the biggest of the group.

joeymac
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
How to determine the "alpha" in ur tank? Lol seriously? just look at ur tank and watch how they interact.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Chicago Discus
04-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I know, the one that passes over the eggs after the female.....LOL.....Jk.....Josie

TexasDiscus!!
04-16-2012, 11:47 PM
I know with most other fish the alpha will remain the biggest. Other fish will not grow to full size because the biggest fish will rein supreme.
Is this true for discus?

Skip
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I know with most other fish the alpha will remain the biggest. Other fish will not grow to full size because the biggest fish will rein supreme.
Is this true for discus?

if you buy any subadult discus in groups..

one or two will be faster growers..

one or two.. but will slow growers or stay small..

all others in the middle.. :)

thats why i will only get adults from now on.. i know exactly what i am getting.. not HOPING to get