PDA

View Full Version : Help! My fish is swimming side ways....and not eating..

plakadista
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi guys!

Im am new to this forum and typically new to keeping discus as well. now im wondering why my one discus is swimming side ways and is not eating. I have four including the sick one. i already transfered 3 of them into the main tank leaving the sick one behind on the quarantine tank. they were all active like 2 or 3 days ago but all of a sudden this one starts swimming so slowly and after maybe a few hours i noticed that it was getting picked on by the other 3. then the next day it slowly starting to swim sideways. the water parameters are good. i just tested them yesterday.
Ph-7.4
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-5-10 ppm

I need help on how to go about to dealing with this.

Thanks so much!

roydooms
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Please fill out the disease questionnaire..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Skip
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I need help on how to go about to dealing with this.

Thanks so much!

fill out the form posted..

plakadista
04-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry..im just a rattled guy right now..

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

im wondering why my one discus is swimming side ways and is not eating. I have four including the sick one. i already transfered 3 of them into the main tank leaving the sick one behind on the quarantine tank. they were all active like 2 or 3 days ago but all of a sudden this one starts swimming so slowly and after maybe a few hours i noticed that it was getting picked on by the other 3. then the next day it slowly starting to swim sideways.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

symptoms are swimming sideways and not eating, and sluggish in movement.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

No medications yet. just a 30% water change yesterday.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

20 gallon quarantine tank. only one fish in there.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

30% water change every 4 days. tank has been running about a month and a half. It is bare bottom and i do not age my water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __82 or 83 degrees___

- ph __7.4___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5-10 ppm__

- well water __?__

- municipal water _?___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

NO.

Please let me know what to do. thanks guys!

deepflyball
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
You need to pp them JERRY

plakadista
04-16-2012, 03:23 PM
You need to pp them JERRY

im sorry, whats pp and whose jerry?

Skip
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
im sorry, whats pp and whose jerry?

potassium permanganate

Jerry = DeepFlyBall

plakadista
04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
potassium permanganate

Jerry = DeepFlyBall

ahhh. whats potassium permanganate though and what does it do? do they sell that on a LFS? do you guys know what causes the fish to swim sideways?

Skip
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
use the SEARCH FUNCTION.. at top right corner.. :)

no lfs..

plakadista
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Penny for annyone's thoughts here? the fish is still the same and i need of some more suggestions. i want this fish to live! I am really not familiar with potassium permanganate so i dont think im going to risk it with that. plus i really dont know where to get it in my area..

If someone has any more suggestions on how i should go about this problem please let me know.

Eddie
04-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Sounds like another water issue. Not aging and performing water changes every 4 days will change the pressure in the tank significantly. There is little to be done at this point. I won't recommend medication to anyone who's not aging/conditioning the water.