PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding maintaining PH level

Kal-El
04-16-2012, 03:31 PM
So I have API Freshwater pH Test Kit but every time I test my age tap water my PH level are off the charts. I would have to always add large amount of PH down to get it to 7.0. do any of you have this issue with tab water? Such a pain with every water change. Even water straight from my tap water is off the charts perhaps it's just my city water.

I also stop testing for two weeks now and my juvenile discus don't have any issue with age tap water and eating and moving around normally. Could the test kit not be measuring right?

Skip
04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
why are you trying to fight your water to and drop ph?

Lenin
04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
You don't need to mess with the PH unless you're planning to breed, just use tap water and safe or prime.

Kal-El
04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
I thought pH level had to be around 7 for Discus to thrive? So this whole pH for Discus needs to be around 6.5-7 that I've been reading about is not true or require. I guess I won't be messing with the pH level anymore during my water change until I have a breeding pair. This is probably why my juvenile Discus are fine without adjusting the pH level. So I'm assuming successful Discus owner don't waste time testing their pH level during every water change or adjust it if it's off the chart like mines?

Skip
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
So I'm assuming successful Discus owner don't waste time testing their pH level during every water change or adjust it if it's off the chart like mines?

yes.. young padawan..

my ph out of tap is 8.2..

in tanks.. about 7.6-7.8.. but ain't measured it in 1.5 yrs.. :)

Kal-El
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
yes.. young padawan..

my ph out of tap is 8.2..

in tanks.. about 7.6-7.8.. but ain't measured it in 1.5 yrs.. :)

Thanks for your response. This really clear things up for me and less stress trying to get the damn pH to be around 6-5-7 all the time.

Skip
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your response. This really clear things up for me and less stress trying to get the damn pH to be around 6-5-7 all the time.

now AMMONIA, NITRITE and NITRATE!! TOTALLY different!! you need to be able to test that..

DOMESTIC discus want CONSISTENT CLEAN water..

Wilds are a little different.. i don't have any.. can't speak for them

Orange Crush
04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Discus want stable water conditions more than anything. Trying to force your water to conform to the "ideal" can cause fluctuations which stress out the discus and can have serious negative consequences.

Kal-El
04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks what do you recommend to test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? I was thinking of getting this all-in-one kit "API Freshwater Master Test Kit."

Skip
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks what do you recommend to test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? I was thinking of getting this all-in-one kit "API Freshwater Master Test Kit."

+1!

Orange Crush
04-16-2012, 04:36 PM
+2

Kal-El
04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is awesome...

Eddie
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
And you definitely don't want to be adjusting the PH of tank while fish are in it. Any and all water parameter adjusting/conditioning should be done in a separate container (storage container) prior to water changes.

NuclearMuse
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM

I'm not as experienced as everyone else giving this pluses, but I got one a bit ago and it's awesome so I will say +3. :D

Just don't drop the test tubes... I did that today. Broke one. >_<

Chicago Discus
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
You have the same tap water as I do you should be aging your water before putting it in your tanks because you will have a ph swing up it comes out 7.4 and after 24 hours it jumps to 8.2 so you should be aging so you don't get the ph swings in the tank..........Josie

Chicago Discus
04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
I know you have been having issues with your new Discus( not from me) LOL so maybe try aging the water it will make a world of difference......Josie

Kal-El
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I know you have been having issues with your new Discus( not from me) LOL so maybe try aging the water it will make a world of difference......Josie

Thanks, I have been aging my water since I started raising my Juvenile discus two months ago. Those guys are healthy and eating like pigs. I just wanted to be sure adjusting the PH wasn't something that had to be done all the time. As for the two sick ones I've work out an insurance with the breeder and he is helping me through trying to treat them. If anything happens to them or they don't recover he insure that he's got me cover. I'll take his word for it as I truly believe satisfying your customer and getting a good reputation will only help your business.