PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs for 100g planted tank

SeeTheCityLights
04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I recently bought a used 100g, and I just put some plants in it. My plan is to turn it into a planted discus tank. I'm pretty sure the light is just what came with the tank, because the previous owners did not strike me as the type that would invest in a different bulb.
So could you guys give me some links to bulbs that would be good for a standard sized 100g, that will be fairly heavily planted? I'm on a budget, so nothing crazy expensive please.

Psionic
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I recently bought a used 100g, and I just put some plants in it. My plan is to turn it into a planted discus tank. I'm pretty sure the light is just what came with the tank, because the previous owners did not strike me as the type that would invest in a different bulb.
So could you guys give me some links to bulbs that would be good for a standard sized 100g, that will be fairly heavily planted? I'm on a budget, so nothing crazy expensive please.

What is your budget? For larger tanks, you typically need stronger lights. 4 or 6 bulb high output lights would work well. Get a good reflector on it also. For a heavily planted, it would be more expensive going with stronger lights. You can always buy a used one also. You can check out the Swap n Shop section of The Planted Tank forums and post for some or browse what others have.

What kind of plants do you want to use? High, medium, or low light? Usually 6500 - 6800k temperature bulbs are good for plants. It's the closest to natural sunlight. I have 2 6500k and 2 10000k bulbs running in my 4 bulb t5ho and it's working ok.

If you're going high light and heavily planted, you should think about fertilizers and injected co2 do you don't get an algae problem.

Hope some of that helps :)

-Val