PDA

View Full Version : Pleco VS Corydoras

Swancici
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
What one cleans better? And alge? What do you prefer?
Also what are some plecos that can go with discus?

nabilbb
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
The 2 fish have difference purpose
1. Pleco - Eats/cleans Algae
2. Cories - Eat the left over food at the bottum

I have both and both are important to have
Bristlenose pleco goes well with Discus

chrisb01
04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Correct, BN Plecos would be the Pleco of choice. They are a lot less shy than other Plecos, you'll see them out there working; and they are hard workers.
Cories are very pretty and interesting, they are a pleasure to watch.
I would also recommend having some of both.

ozone
05-03-2012, 02:31 AM
I agree, both! I have bristlenose in with corries

Orange Crush
05-03-2012, 02:36 AM
I have a BN and Amano shrimp but cories are great too.
I find the BN to be very shy and many are nocternal so you will rarely see those.

DiscusOnly
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a BN and Amano shrimp but cories are great too.
I find the BN to be very shy and many are nocternal so you will rarely see those.

Not if you have a group of them. Mine are all over the glass and out even with the lights on.

Only bad thing about BN is that they are poop machine.

joeymac
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Only bad thing about BN is that they are poop machine.

Yea especially if u have driftwood!!! I got rid of all mine and couldn't be happier. The insane amount of sh!t I was vaccuming multiple times a day FAR outweighed the help they gave me cleaning the tank. I'll wipe the glass myself, thank you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Swancici
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM
That's crazy. I'll be going with Corydoras thanks.

steelbreeze1
05-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Cory's rock, your discus will love the cory clean up crew.

3dees
05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with joeymac. I had one adult bn and he produced more waste than my 8 adult discus and twenty five lemons combined. best thing I did was to give him away. plus, they don't do a great job on the algae once they realize it's easier to eat the food being put in the tank.

JenTN
05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree with joeymac. I had one adult bn and he produced more waste than my 8 adult discus and twenty five lemons combined. best thing I did was to give him away. plus, they don't do a great job on the algae once they realize it's easier to eat the food being put in the tank.
+2

chrisb01
05-07-2012, 12:16 AM

What I do is cut down on the food, or even starve them for a day or two. They'll go to work, no free lunches here... :-)

3dees
05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
What I do is cut down on the food, or even starve them for a day or two. They'll go to work, no free lunches here... :-)

how do you starve them without starving the other fish? sorry, but I'm not going to risk my discus health over a bn pleco.

chrisb01
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
how do you starve them without starving the other fish? sorry, but I'm not going to risk my discus health over a bn pleco.

Fish can go a few days without food without it affecting their health. A lot of people who sell and ship fish do not feed the fish the day before they ship, that would be at least three days without food when you figure in transit time, no ill effects. And in fact, some Discus will not eat for a few days, especially in a new environment.

I do see the argument against Plecos (not just BNs), producing a lot of waste. I myself own a few different species of Plecos, I happen to like them. I do a lot of water changes due to the excessive waste, but I really don't mind, water changes are half the fun of keeping fish. And I'm retired, nothing to do but read and do water changes.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Different strokes... :-)

JenTN
05-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Fish can go a few days without food without it affecting their health. A lot of people who sell and ship fish do not feed the fish the day before they ship, that would be at least three days without food when you figure in transit time, no ill effects. And in fact, some Discus will not eat for a few days, especially in a new environment.

I do see the argument against Plecos (not just BNs), producing a lot of waste. I myself own a few different species of Plecos, I happen to like them. I do a lot of water changes due to the excessive waste, but I really don't mind, water changes are half the fun of keeping fish. And I'm retired, nothing to do but read and do water changes.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Different strokes... :-)

I like them too...I meant I wouldnt keep them purely for clean up.