PDA

View Full Version : Beefheart from Petsmart

fredfry
04-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I just got my first discus, so I had to get some food for them. I have them in a 15 gal tank. I and doing 5 gal water changes twice a day. They seller told me they were eating beefheart.
These 8 little guys are dime or nickel size. I got some frozen beef heart from petsmart. It's san fransisco bay brand.
I was reading the ingredients and it is only 9% protein and 89% moisture. Do you think this will be good to feed them for a while until I can make my own? I thaw it out in a little glass and most of it is too big for their little mouths. They keep pecking at the big pieces after they have eaten the smaller pieces but I don't know how much they are getting. I think I will try shaving the frozen chunk with a razor blade and see how that works. Should I try starting them on some other food? Without this forum I would never have even considered keeping discus.
Thank you every one, for posting your knowledge and helping newbies like me.

Fred

Eddie
04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I just got my first discus, so I had to get some food for them. I have them in a 15 gal tank. I and doing 5 gal water changes twice a day. They seller told me they were eating beefheart.
These 8 little guys are dime or nickel size. I got some frozen beef heart from petsmart. It's san fransisco bay brand.
I was reading the ingredients and it is only 9% protein and 89% moisture. Do you think this will be good to feed them for a while until I can make my own? I thaw it out in a little glass and most of it is too big for their little mouths. They keep pecking at the big pieces after they have eaten the smaller pieces but I don't know how much they are getting. I think I will try shaving the frozen chunk with a razor blade and see how that works. Should I try starting them on some other food? Without this forum I would never have even considered keeping discus.
Thank you every one, for posting your knowledge and helping newbies like me.

Fred

Yes, thats fine, use the razor to shave finer pieces for them. Dime and nickel size pups, quite small. I'd increase the water changes to 100% every day at least, especially if you are feeding beefheart. Keep things SUPER clean too.

fredfry
04-21-2012, 02:21 PM
For my 15 gal tank do you think a 7 1/2 gal water change in the morning and a 7 1/2 gal change in the evening would be ok?
I do remove what they don't eat after feeding.

Thank You Fred

shoveltrash
04-21-2012, 07:26 PM
congrats on your new fry fred! and good luck with them :).
I read from Pat that she also feeds Al's fdbw, puts them in a coffee grinder to make smaller bits for the babies. you might want to start introducing a higher protein food to supplement the BH with.