PDA

View Full Version : picky eating discus..

Cameronv
04-21-2012, 04:47 PM
So I bought new life spectrum discus formula it seems like a pretty well rounded food recipe. It has practically everything I want in it, protein, vitamins, garlic, color enhancers etc etc.. I bought it in a 300g 1mm sinking pellet form, its kind of a dark reddish color. The problem is, I can't get my discus to eat anything but frozen blood worms.. When I do put FBW they attack it VICIOUSLY, 3 cubes for 4 discus and its gone with in a minute. I don't want to feed them FBW continuously, they're expensive, low in protein, and could pass worms. I have BH pro growth flakes from bill and they wont eat those either. I've been starving my discus for at least 3 days, probably 4 and still no response! I put it in and they come up to it and stare at it maybe take a bite and spit it out if I'm lucky. It's upsetting to say the least.. Can someone please tell me what to do?

Mep1127
04-21-2012, 04:58 PM
you gotta starve them sometimes for a WEEK. I know it seems cruel but the hungrier the better. Also try feeding new foods during breakfast as they are more receptive during that time. I had to do that to some of my discus at one point who only ate bloodworms. Now i only feed thera a, flakes and freeze dried blackworms. Trust me we all have been there when wanting to ween them off those foods. YOu gotta be persistent to offer nothing but the pellets and no bloodworms they will have to peck at them eventually.

How big are your discus? I heard larger ones are usually harder to train the young ones but Idk.

Wes
04-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Don't give in to their hungry stare. If u are trying to get them on new food don't feed them for 2 days try new food. Try just that new food every day, nothing else. They could go a couple weeks with out eating and be fine. Give it a couple weeks with just the new food.

Cameronv
04-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I just tried the BH growth flakes and I got a better response, 1 actually ate some but nothing significant. I clumped it up like a cube and tried to trick them, they attacked it pretty viciously like normal, but the majority spit it out. 2 are around 4ish inches the other two are 5-5.5 inch. I know they're hungry because they're always begging for food when I put my hand near the tank.

Do freeze dried blackworms have a higher protein count? Can they pass worms?

Wes
04-21-2012, 05:14 PM
freeze dried blackworms are safe and less water more dry weight in their bellies.

Mep1127
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I just tried the BH growth flakes and I got a better response, 1 actually ate some but nothing significant. I clumped it up like a cube and tried to trick them, they attacked it pretty viciously like normal, but the majority spit it out. 2 are around 4ish inches the other two are 5-5.5 inch. I know they're hungry because they're always begging for food when I put my hand near the tank.

Do freeze dried blackworms have a higher protein count? Can they pass worms?

yeah if im not mistaken their protein count is 66% and can be totally digested. Once you train them to eat blackworms you wont see such a response to any other food you give them. That stuff is like an addictive drug to them lol. With flakes and pellets you will see such results in the beginning that they dont eat much. But if you keep doing it they will eventually accept it as food. Just be patient

Cameronv
04-22-2012, 06:01 PM
It's difficult for me to give them a well rounded diet because they wont take anything else. I have a sample of FDBW from dan I'll try if they don't respond to the pellets and flakes for another few days. Once I feed them the FDBW I know they wont pick at anything else. Why do fish have to be picky.. Would it be bad to only feed the FDBW if they won't accept other food? Would it be better to feed FDBW instead of blood worms? How does everyone else get them to eat everything they put in the tank?

Orange Crush
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Frozen bloodworms are junk food. Stop feeding it except maybe once every 1-2 weeks as a treat OR as a test if you suspect a discus might be sick because they stoped eating oher foods (once you get them weaned off of the BWs).
The 1st meal of the day feed them the NLS discus, then later in the day try the BH flakes. There is no such thing as a processed fish food that is a "perfect food" so variety in their diet is important. Try feeding them a rotation of at least 3 or 4 different foods. Other good foods are tetra bits, NLS thera a, freeze dried black worms to name a few.
Any animal/fish/child fed the same thing all the time becomes finicky.

Cameronv
04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Okay good to know thanks very much crush. Do you think the NLS there a+ formula is any better, or much different then the NLS discus formula?

Orange Crush
04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Okay good to know thanks very much crush. Do you think the NLS there a+ formula is any better, or much different then the NLS discus formula?
What the difference is I do not know. I use the Thera A because it helps with the immune system (garlic and ginseng). I have never tried the discus formula.

Cameronv
04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Okay looks like I'll be spending more money on fish food lol

Mep1127
04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
good luck to you... its all patience and persistence. And I second the thera a, its good stuff they like it more than hikari bio gold discus believe it or not

Cameronv
04-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Thank you mep and you too xeriod. I'll keep your advice in mind when I'm getting impatient (all the time with these picky discus). There a ordered!