PDA

View Full Version : question about re- scaping?

walt3
04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
i have a 75 gallon tank with some substrate, gravel and plants. fish as well. :) i am dying to rescape the tank as i have grown in the hobby and have been inspired by many amazing tanks. question is -- can this be done slowly while keeping discus and all fish in tank or is that not practical? i dont have any other tanks at the moment. was concerned about freaking out fish or causing issues. thoughts? thanks.

Rummy
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't mess with the substrate with the fish in the tank. You could release nasties. Could you house the fish in your aging barrel for the couple of hours it would take to do the job? Make sure the heater and air pump are running.

walt3
04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
that would work but no aging barrel. i might just slowly move wood around. i agreee on the substrate. makes me nervous.

Second Hand Pat
04-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Walt, are you adding or taking away substrate? I have added sand with the fish in the tank, a little at a time and will rinsed. I will work on one end and allow the fish a safe zone on the other end. I have found I can add wood if I move very slowly.