PDA

View Full Version : When to pull fry from parents?

k7prz
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
My dozen fry (first survivors of this pair) are about 3/4 the size of a dime. Still feeding off the parents
and eating baby brine. They are in a 20 gal. When should I remove the parents? Or should I remove the
fry? Actually I need to raise the tank up---too close to the floor for the next spawn. I have another 20 gal
ready to go---and also a 10 gal heated up. I only have about 20 fry but I'm not complaining. Excellent parents so far.
They are blue turquoise.

Pictures to follow after I figure out my camera and uploading.

Dave near Portland

DonMD
04-23-2012, 05:11 PM
In my experience the parents start getting pretty beaten up at three - four weeks, but since you've only got 20 fry they may not damage the parents so fast. I'd leave them for a bit more, maybe 4-5 weeks, keep feeding bbs, and if the parents start looking like they've been in a fight, move them out. By the way, I've found that freeze dried black worms is a great food for young fry, I use a coffee grinder and grind them up fine, them churn them in a small bowl of aquarium water with a small wire whip. Then as they age move them on to different food. Good luck.

Eddie
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Personal preference, I'd pull them already is they are feeding good on their own.

John_Nicholson
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Anytime after 10 days free swimming.

-john

nc0gnet0
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't pull mine until they are off BBS on totally on FDBW or any other solid food. However if the parents show signs of getting ragged, I will pull them earlier. This usually doesn't happen if you keep the fry well fed.

Rick

Jason K.
04-24-2012, 08:32 AM
I'd have to say as John said as soon as they are eating bbs well... with large batch's the parent's take quite the beating and can take it's toll rather quicky,j.m.o..

MostlyDiscus
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't pull mine until they are off BBS on totally on FDBW or any other solid food. However if the parents show signs of getting ragged, I will pull them earlier. This usually doesn't happen if you keep the fry well fed.

Rick
Ditto, only exception would be if there are over 150 fry. Ed I agree with Don as well, FDBW seem to be a great food for the young.

jaykne
04-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Another thing you have to look at is you said a dozen fry, most pairs I have and have had will not riase that small of a # very long than they will destroy them and start over. I would remove them they will be fine as long as they eating BBS.

DonMD
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

k7prz
05-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Update---about 60 fry doing well eating everything I throw at them. Mostly Chopped frozen bloodworms, Omega One flake, shrimp/beefhart mix, and still BBS (still eating them, so why not?) I moved them from the 29 gal into a 70 gallon a few days ago. Meanwhile parents spawned again in their 20 gal. Changing at least half the water every day on the fry with straight, aged, well water which reads about 130 on hand-held TDS meter. Temp about 84.

DonMD
05-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Now what are you going to do with all those fish? LOL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

k7prz
05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Now what are you going to do with all those fish? LOL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Many years ago I used to sell fry for $10 each to local folks---4 at a time, etc.
Lots of fun. Not sure there's a market like that anymore unless I also gave classes on
how to care for discus. I've waited 2 years for a successful batch of babies so I'm more
excited about having them than thinking about what to do with them. I have the tanks---but
running out of places to put the tanks. Still want to put my car in the garage! The LFS always has
about 8 tanks of imported babies for sale at $39 each so I guess there is a market around this area
for discus. They usually don't look very healthy at the LFS but they don't change water much I guess.