PDA

View Full Version : ground beef mix?

spiffyfish
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
ok so i know these things have been covered a million different times just wanting some feedback on something i want to try for the first time, that is making my own discus food. here is what i have come up with so far, please feel free to give comments either good or bad.i dont have a food processor, so i am going to try this in small portions in a blender. if a blender does not work, what other suggestions do you guys have for mixing/pasteurizing it?

2lbs lean ground beef
1 ripe bannana
3 cooked baby carrots
3 tsp canned peas
2 cloves of garlic
4 centrum tablets
1/2 cup BH flake food

Eddie
04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Your blender is gonna burn up. A meat grinder works really well. I use both a food processor and a meat grinder.

The ground beef, some use it, personal preference. The 3 tsp of canned peas, not really much of a good green. I'd use some collard greens or spinach. 2 garlic cloves would be pretty minute for that size mix, I'd go with 5-6. Use centrum liquid vitamins instead if you can. The only thing I would suggest, is to add some raw shrimp to help bind it all a little better.

spiffyfish
04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the response Eddie, on the vitamins are there different types to choose from or just any ce
ntrum liquid vitamin?

Eddie
04-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the response Eddie, on the vitamins are there different types to choose from or just any ce
ntrum liquid vitamin?

I havent seen a different type of centrum liquid vitamins. I believe just this one.

Sasha
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I havent seen a different type of centrum liquid vitamins. I believe just this one.

How much of the liquid vitamin would you add?

Lt shinysides
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Good ingredients I personally use a blender with no probs!! I also add one hole egg as I find it helps keep to mix together.

Eddie
04-27-2012, 02:20 PM
How much of the liquid vitamin would you add?

With over 2 lbs, maybe a tbsp or 2

zimmjeff
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
and the peas will make it stink something awful.

Eddie
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
and the peas will make it stink something awful.

Ive used peas before....all the rest of the stuff easily out stunk the peas! LOL

spiffyfish
04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
well here is my first batch of homemade fish food, not sure if i put too much spinach in there but we'll see if they like it or not. i used colorbits instead of flake food cause the beefheart flake food i got from kens they never really went for. im not sure if that is the right consistancy or not but thats the best i could get it with a food processor.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s155/EATSLEEPJDM_album/20120428_125850.jpg

Eddie
04-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks good, no worries on the Spinach. I had a few mixes that were TOTALLY green and the fish still killed it. LOL

spiffyfish
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
awesome thanks for your help on my questions Eddie. now im just waiting for it to freeze and hopefully its not a chore trying to it out of the containers or break it.

Eddie
04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
awesome thanks for your help on my questions Eddie. now im just waiting for it to freeze and hopefully its not a chore trying to it out of the containers or break it.

I always pull a fresh chunk out of the mix and drop it in the tank to see how they like it. Kind of messy but you see them go bananas for it! Something I do before a water change.

spiffyfish
04-28-2012, 08:51 PM
well they dont seem to be going after it too much, hopefully they get use to it and start eating it. for some reason my fish are stubborn and never want anything but frozen bloodworms and FDBW.

Eddie
04-29-2012, 01:39 AM
well they dont seem to be going after it too much, hopefully they get use to it and start eating it. for some reason my fish are stubborn and never want anything but frozen bloodworms and FDBW.

If thats all you ever fed them, then yes....they are spoiled. How old are they or size? I'd fast them and bring the temperature up. Get them STARVING!

spiffyfish
04-29-2012, 01:58 AM
i got 8 of them from kenny in january, 1 didnt make it so out of the seven two of them are almost adults and the rest are juvies about 3-3 1/2''. that is all they are fed cause i couldnt get them to eat anything else from the get go so i stuck with those few things.

Eddie
04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
i got 8 of them from kenny in january, 1 didnt make it so out of the seven two of them are almost adults and the rest are juvies about 3-3 1/2''. that is all they are fed cause i couldnt get them to eat anything else from the get go so i stuck with those few things.

Then you can fast them just fine, sometimes people dont like to fast youngins. Adults are stubborn and can go ages without food!