PDA

View Full Version : crickets??

dprais1
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I've been thinking about changing my discus diet to just blackworms and crickets. I could gut-load the crickets with veggies, vitamins, etc....

any thoughts? anybody try this or similiar before?

Eddie
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Are your discus readily taking crickets? Must be some micro crickets.

fredfry
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I hope they don't swallow the legs.

brianyam
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
I think that is a good idea. I love fishing, and fish in our waters are very silimar (if not related) to discus (sunfish, perch, bass), and their main diet is insects like crickets. I have an arowana that I feed live meal worms, and I often break a few meal worms and throw them in my discus tank. They love it. No bacteria, allot of nutrition and protien. I don't see why it would be a problem given that allot of people throw in beef heart and raw shrimp mixes for their discus. I use to do that, but too messy and I have read long term beef heart can't be too good for discus (it is beef after all that a discus would never get in the wild). My only suggestion is don't feed them too much as they may stop eating dry food.

dprais1
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
This is all theoretical at this point. I can't imagine they would not eat a cricket. maybe chop up the adults ones??

Chicago Discus
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
This is all theoretical at this point. I can't imagine they would not eat a cricket. maybe chop up the adults ones??

No you can't feed crickets to my fry LOL.......Josie

dprais1
04-24-2012, 05:55 PM
No you can't feed crickets to my fry LOL.......Josie

Of course not...I will tell them in a very firm voice that the crickets are not for them and that if they are good i will give them blackworms.

:o

dan

Chicago Discus
04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Of course not...I will tell them in a very firm voice that the crickets are not for them and that if they are good i will give them blackworms.

:o

dan

LOL I really wanted to talk to you at the show but I was bagging discus like a mad women.......Josie

dprais1
04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
okay, crickets aren't really practical if i have to chop them up into little pieces.

and I do NOT want Josie angered at me.,,,,

Orange Crush
04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
okay, crickets aren't really practical if i have to chop them up into little pieces.

and I do NOT want Josie angered at me.,,,,
yea don't piss her off, she could have you thrown in jail on trumped up charges. lol;)

dprais1
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
first LOL ever, thanks orange i needed that after spending the morning in the psych ward

dprais1
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
.............for my nursing degree, not as a patient

Orange Crush
04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
.............for my nursing degree, not as a patient
Suuuure. ;)

dprais1
04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Suuuure. ;)

addmited for OCD related to discus as evidenced by dan states he spends entirely too much time surfing "Simply Discus," watching a fish tank and thinking about fish

Orange Crush
04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
addmited for OCD related to discus as evidenced by dan states he spends entirely too much time surfing "Simply Discus," watching a fish tank and thinking about fish
they should put that diagnosis in the DSM

PAR23
04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I have read long term beef heart can't be too good for discus (it is beef after all that a discus would never get in the wild).

This is the second time I have read this recently......Can someone confirm this. I still feed my adults BH mix from time to time.

brewmaster15
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
This is the second time I have read this recently......Can someone confirm this. I still feed my adults BH mix from time to time.
Peter, Take a look at Stendkers Hatchery...

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/321,0,discus-food,index,0.html

hth,

and Dan on the crickets... absolutely," pin heads " (these are tiny baby crickets to those not into herps" dusted with Vitamens and calc would be fine... about 10 years ago, a good friend of Mine , Jason from Canada, and I brain stormed alot on insects as food for discus, possibly as a trigger for Heckels breeding... At the time he was collecting all sorts of bugs at night by light.. I used a black light to attract them to a trap... I even collected them under trees by laying out a white sheet and shaking the trees... My wilds at that time often went to town on many of these... never got far along enough to see if it was a breeding trigger as it was alot of work and off course seasonal here in CT... But I even feed them vitamen dusted flies.:)

hth,
al

PAR23
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Peter, Take a look at Stendkers Hatchery...

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/321,0,discus-food,index,0.html

hth,
al

Thanks for the link Al. I always suspected it and this just proves it. If it's good enough for Stendker then it's good enough for me.

korbi_doc
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Yep Al, if I bat a fly in the house, I feed it to the discus...they love'm....once they've tried'm

Dottie