PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Europeans !

dpete9
04-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone,

First off, Al I hope I am not overstepping any boundaries here and feel free to move this to whatever section you feel is most appropriate.

Earlier I posed a question whether SD should have a European Sister forum (which would be mostly redundant now that I think about it) or a European subsection on this forum. The main reason I wanted it was to offer Europeans a chance to gain SD collaborative knowledge and to offer an area with local resources such as clubs, events breeder sections and a for sale section.

After a few e-mails with Al we came up with a plan to try a subsection for our European friends (me included):idea: . Since Europe has so many different languages we would have to keep it in English as that is the one language most Europeans know (there is always Google translate that can help with those difficult words). It is expected that it will start out slowly and gain momentum over time.

Personally I will try to gather as much information and as many discus friends as I can from the Netherlands, but beyond that it will get difficult.

So my questions to all of you are:
1. Would this be valuable to you?
2. Can you help by gathering information on local (throughout your home country) clubs and events?
3. Can you pass this information on to your European Discus friends?

Al has been busy with things for the 10 year anniversary and this is why he has asked me to help with this. Hopefully with enough good feedback we can start this sometime after he finishes up with the drawing etc.

Thanks everyone for your input!

dpete9
04-26-2012, 12:59 AM
P.s. My American friends, if you have any suggestions (no criticism allowed) feel free to add your input as well!

iziko22
04-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Does the SD European Sister forum can include country near by like Israel?

dpete9
04-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Does the SD European Sister forum can include country near by like Israel?

It will be a sub-forum within SD. I don't really know all the details yet as it's really, really early in the game. Primarily with this post I was trying to gauge interest feedback and support.
I would think anyone can join if they find the information useful to them!

dpete9
04-26-2012, 02:02 PM
well so far I'm a bit surprised there isn't more response..

Chaotica
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
i think it will help when it comes to sponsors and events, as far as information conserned i dont think it ll make any difference !!

dpete9
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
i think it will help when it comes to sponsors and events, as far as information conserned i dont think it ll make any difference !!

exactly

Michael T
04-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes please!

dpete9
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes please!
:)

Eddie
04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
well so far I'm a bit surprised there isn't more response..

It may not be that there isn't any interest, its that there are a lot of European forums already established that are in the native language for those countries. Im sure you will find people but the english barrier might be an issue.

dpete9
04-29-2012, 12:22 PM
It may not be that there isn't any interest, its that there are a lot of European forums already established that are in the native language for those countries. Im sure you will find people but the english barrier might be an issue.
I agree Eddie, I thought the English is the tie that binds a lot of Europeans together. Here in the Netherlands they say "of course we speak English, if we didn't who would we have to talk to but ourselves"

dpete9
04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
How's the weather where you are today my European friends. My Gawd it's beautiful here in the Netherlands today... I'm sitting by a pond (vijver in Dutch) outside my work and there's a black swan staring me down. maybe he'll come say hi. That's something I've never seen in America.

Lt shinysides
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello
I'm lee from south Wales uk, weather here is really bad!! Wind, heavy rain. I was going to take part in a skydive for charity yesterday but the weather stopped me, shame I was really looking forward to it.
In regards to the original question I tend to use BIDKA a lot for info but look on this forum most days, one more forum wouldn't hurt more the merrier I say.
Cheers
Lee

mmorris
04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
It's a good idea, Pete, but I wonder if the British and International Discus Keepers Association (BIDKA) forum, isn't already filling that need. It's an excellent forum.
http://forum.bidka.org/

dpete9
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
It's a good idea, Pete, but I wonder if the British and International Discus Keepers Association (BIDKA) forum, isn't already filling that need. It's an excellent forum.
http://forum.bidka.org/
I admit I haven't spent much time on there yet, bu when I was on the site I saw very little info for anything outside of the UK.. maybe i missed it.

mmorris
04-29-2012, 01:12 PM
What sort of info? Events on the continent are usually, if not always, publicized. http://forum.bidka.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69

dpete9
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah things like events, clubs, breeders section, local forums uhm local things like where can I purchase, for example, Methylene Blue or pvc pipe locally.. Which btw are both very hard to find in Netherlands. I don't know I just think there are things people can help each-other out with locally.. I now can tell a newcomer looking to plumb his tanks where an excellent place is to get pvc, but I didn't have anyone to help ME with those things.

dpete9
04-29-2012, 01:43 PM
ok here's one more example.. Let's say I wanted to sell a bunch of discus fry. I live on the southern corner of Netherlands and I am literally less than 20 miles from both Germany and Belgium... Ok, so I could market these fry to all of these people as the borders are open here. but to do that not only would I have to search and go through countless small forums, but i would have to do it in 3 different languages! yuck

dpete9
05-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Anybody out there?? ;-)
See this thread ----> http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96484-So-THinking-of-another-Discus-Challenge-here-at-Simply...PLEASE-READ!!
I'd love to see some German breed discus enter this.. I've seen some monsters so round and fat their eyes are sunken in their heads come out of Germany.