PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!!

darrenoneill1973
04-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Hello there everyone,

I have a 65ltr tank that I have inherited. It was a very well established tank that had been running for around 9 years. I have had it for 2 months now and have 4 harlequins, 2 shrimp, 1 otto, a siamese fighter, about 8 assassin snails and too many Madagascan snails to count but I very rarely see them as they are always buried in the gravel which I've read is where they should be, if they make a break for the top then I should worry about my water apparently?

I have an established bio material in the filter with carbon which I have read never needs to be changed, just washed and I put a new sponge in every month? Oh, the gravel was also well established.

I test the water daily for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites and they are always clear but I do a 20% water change weekly, I've also planted the aquarium but only have three live plants in there and they seem to holding on ok, was told I might lose the first few but they seem to be growing and I can see new routes sprouting from above the gravel line into the gravel which I assume must be good?

So what do I want you ask?

To know if everything I have said above seems accurate and ok?

How many more fish would anyone recommend for that size of tank? I'd like to get some siamese algae eaters as I seem to be forever getting rid of algae so must have too many nutrients, it's not getting any direct sunlight, just normal sunlight.

Any info or recommendations anyone has would be very gratefully received.

I think it's quite a good tank (superfish aqua 65), it has lighting on two sides with separate on/off switches, it hinges back like a car bonnet and has supports for keeping the lid open and the fish that are in there seem very healthy and lively, I feed them once a day with either flake or defrosted frozen daphnia, have the water at 25 degrees and the PH is steady at 7 which is a tad high but from reading I understand that stable is better then trying to keep it low and fluctuating.

I've had 2 casualties!! A harlequin that swallowed a big bit of jelly bloodworm, my fault not to happen again, seemed to get the gall bladder disease thing and was floating in the corner of the tank, I was going to starve them until it was better but the assassins caught it and ate it!! 1 of my otto's died, probably from stress as the other is alive and well, it was very small and I've read that they are partial to dying within 2 weeks of moving but if they see the two weeks out they are hardy fish!

That's my tank really, anything anyone has to say gratefully accepted.

Skip
04-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Netrite snails would eat all algae very fast