PDA

View Full Version : Discus fish Diet

farzadkavari
04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone, I am new on here. I just recently started a Discus tank (90 gallon) with 8 (2.5 inches) discus. I have had them for a 2 weeks now and been mostly feeding them Hikari frozen blood worm cubes (2-3 a day) and some mix of dried black worms. I heard that blood worms might not be so great for them. What is the best recommended over all complete diet that will keep them healthy and growing big.

Thanks

Teshi
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome to SD. What was the breeder/LFS feeding them?

Skip
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone, I am new on here. I just recently started a Discus tank (90 gallon) with 8 (2.5 inches) discus. I have had them for a 2 weeks now and been mostly feeding them Hikari frozen blood worm cubes (2-3 a day) and some mix of dried black worms. I heard that blood worms might not be so great for them. What is the best recommended over all complete diet that will keep them healthy and growing big.

Thanks

welcome to SD..

Variety of HIGH PROTEIN FOODS..
Flake *Beef heart, or Some of the OCEAN NUTRITION: PRIME REEF, Formula 1 or 2
Tetra Bits
Freeze Dried Black worms *i was given a large bag of FREEZE DRIED BLOODworms.. my fish really like them.. as the Blackworms also
homemade Beef heart/Seafood Mixs
Pellets food..
and LIVE.. but i only really just feed live brine shrimp..

when shopping.. look at the PROTEIN content and you will get idea.. and VARIETY is also key..

PAR23
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
welcome to SD..

Variety of HIGH PROTEIN FOODS..
Flake *Beef heart, or Some of the OCEAN NUTRITION: PRIME REEF, Formula 1 or 2
Tetra Bits
Freeze Dried Black worms *i was given a large bag of FREEZE DRIED BLOODworms.. my fish really like them.. as the Blackworms also
homemade Beef heart/Seafood Mixs
Pellets food..
and LIVE.. but i only really just feed live brine shrimp..

when shopping.. look at the PROTEIN content and you will get idea.. and VARIETY is also key..

That pretty much sums all up:)

Larry Bugg
04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
In my opinion it isn't that bloodworms are a horrible food. There are a several of issues I see. The frozen bloodworms have a high water content so the nutritional value is diminished. The second is that they simply don't provide a well rounded diet. The third issue is that your discus may just get hooked on them and refuse to eat anything else. Your discus need a well balanced diet and you have gotten some good suggestions here. I have just recently started feeding Freeze Dried Bloodworms as a supplement. Here are the stats....Approximate Analysis: Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%. My staple is Freeze Dried Black worms. Along with these I also feed a couple of good quality flakes, Tetra Color Bits and I am into my third week of feeding a new Gel food to my younger discus.

Here is a good post on Blood Worms from a couple of years ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?74101-Bloodworms-THE-NAKED-TRUTH

farzadkavari
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys! How about Hikari Bio Gold pellets? The ingredients sound good and are listed below.

contains premium natural ingredients including krill, silkworm pupa, fishmeal, cuttlefish meals and more to promote healthy growth.

Skip
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys! How about Hikari Bio Gold pellets? The ingredients sound good and are listed below.

contains premium natural ingredients including krill, silkworm pupa, fishmeal, cuttlefish meals and more to promote healthy growth.

read for your self.. i googled "HIKARI BIO GOLD" Simply Discus..

here are results
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Hikari+Bio+Gold%22+simply+discus&oq=%22Hikari+Bio+Gold%22+simply+discus&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=hp.3...333888.341966.0.342053.25.21.4.0.0.0.1 50.1806.16j5.29.0.xSdDiZsE56E&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=10aa8b4599b06781&biw=1225&bih=755

farzadkavari
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Yep sounds good, Im geared more towards dry foods such as the following. Has anyone every tried any of these? Which one is preferred?

-Tetra min tropical crisps
-Tetra color bits
-New life spectume discus formula
-Hikari discus bio gold
-Sera discus (granuals,red,blue)
-Ocean nutrition cichlid omni (flakes or pellets)
-Ocean nutrition formula one (flakes or pellets)
-Omega one cichlid (flakes or pellets)
-Omega one super color (flakes or pellets)

Skip
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes, no, no, no, yes, no, no

moon_knight1971
04-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Yep sounds good, Im geared more towards dry foods such as the following. Has anyone every tried any of these? Which one is preferred?

-Tetra min tropical crisps
-Tetra color bits
-New life spectume discus formula
-Hikari discus bio gold
-Sera discus (granuals,red,blue)
-Ocean nutrition cichlid omni (flakes or pellets)
-Ocean nutrition formula one (flakes or pellets)
-Omega one cichlid (flakes or pellets)
-Omega one super color (flakes or pellets)

Check out the Sponsor section on this site. Dan sells live and freeze dried blackworms that many people swear by and Ken has a large assortment of flakes that can give your fish variety as well a high protein content. I use his beefheart flake, earthworm flake and chicken heart flake currently and am pondering trying some of his medicated flakes as a preventive tool.

Joey!

dprais1
04-28-2012, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=Bugman;885796]........ and I am into my third week of feeding a new Gel food to my younger discus.QUOTE]

The Repashy??? I'm really interested in this stuff. what are your thoughts so far? think just the Repashy and FDBW would be good?

Larry Bugg
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Bugman;885796]........ and I am into my third week of feeding a new Gel food to my younger discus.QUOTE]

The Repashy??? I'm really interested in this stuff. what are your thoughts so far? think just the Repashy and FDBW would be good?

Yes, Repashy. So fat I'm very pleased. I just made my second batch last night and doubled the amount. I wanted a food to use during the day while I was at work in place of using a auto feeder. My juvies and sub adults that I was feeding with auto feeders have been devouring what I leave them everyday.

strawberryblonde
04-28-2012, 01:49 PM

-Tetra min tropical crisps - Mine have learned to LOVE these over the past month
-Tetra color bits - Mine will NOT eat these
-New life spectume discus formula - N/A
-Hikari discus bio gold - Won't eat this
-Sera discus (granuals,red,blue) - N/A
-Ocean nutrition cichlid omni (flakes or pellets) - N/A
-Ocean nutrition formula one (flakes or pellets) - They LOVE LOVE LOVE the flake formula!
-Omega one cichlid (flakes or pellets) - N/A
-Omega one super color (flakes or pellets) - N/A

Hope this helps. Just toss them a variety of foods and they'll let you know what they like and don't like. Mine are hooked on Al's FDBWs. That's a daily staple around here and I think they'd jump out of the tank and get it themselves if I forgot to feed it to them. =)

MRQuad
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I have no problem with NLS Discus Formula. If I were you, I will try that as well..

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2