View Full Version : Praziquantel Vs praziPro

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 03:05 PM
My questions is,
Have any of you used both products and your resluts?.......Josie

Eddie
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Same, both are effective.

I am assuming you are speaking of cestode treatment. If you are asking about fluke treatment, prazipro has shown reduced effectiveness when compared to praziquantel powder form.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Same, both are effective.

I am assuming you are speaking of cestode treatment. If you are asking about fluke treatment, prazipro has shown reduced effectiveness when compared to praziquantel powder form.

Thats interesting so what your saying eddie is that the powder form is more effective against fluke

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Im treating some of my guys with the powder form disolved in some vodka and poured in the tank. if I do my normal water changes do I need to redose what I take out and if so for how long. I know that I will need to redose in 7 days but im curious if i need to redose what I take out in water changes

Eddie
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Im treating some of my guys with the powder form disolved in some vodka and poured in the tank. if I do my normal water changes do I need to redose what I take out and if so for how long. I know that I will need to redose in 7 days but im curious if i need to redose what I take out in water changes

Yup, definitely replace what you removed.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
How much vodka can add to the powder to get soluble with affecting the Discus in an adverse way? thanks Eddie

Eddie
04-27-2012, 03:46 PM
How much vodka can add to the powder to get soluble with affecting the Discus in an adverse way? thanks Eddie

That I'd have to look up on here. I know it only requires a little, to make it pasty so not very much. I'll check and get back in a second. ;)

Can't find anything exact, but some referenced 1 tbsp to half of a shot glass but I'd go with the least amount possible, thats just me. I also read that many have just mixed it in RO water and had results even though it never mixed well.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 04:14 PM
That I'd have to look up on here. I know it only requires a little, to make it pasty so not very much. I'll check and get back in a second. ;)

Can't find anything exact, but some referenced 1 tbsp to half of a shot glass but I'd go with the least amount possible, thats just me. I also read that many have just mixed it in RO water and had results even though it never mixed well.

Yea I looked everywhere and couldnt find a definite answer on the amount... you know I mixed it with vodka got to a nice paste with a pestle and motar then mixed it with RO and i still had a little residue

lipadj46
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Prazi will dissolve in water in a few hours or so. If you just add the prazi to hot water and shake it up it will foam and the prazi will dissolve overnight in the tank. I also have used DMSO but that stinks bad and only use it for flukes. You can use a bit more alcohol like 1.5 tbs.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Prazi will dissolve in water in a few hours or so. If you just add the prazi to hot water and shake it up it will foam and the prazi will dissolve overnight in the tank. I also have used DMSO but that stinks bad and only use it for flukes. You can use a bit more alcohol like 1.5 tbs.

its funny I hear alot about DMSO never used it Discus but have used it on Horses for joint issues is that the same product and what affect does it ahve on the Pazi.........Josie

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Allows the meds to be absorbed into the fish's tissues I believe.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Allows the meds to be absorbed into the fish's tissues I believe.

That's interesting is it the same stuff as the one for horses and if so how much do you add to your cocktail.....

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Josie, as little as possible to made a slurry with the med. Mix well then add the slurry to warm water and stir well prior to adding to the tank.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Josie, as little as possible to made a slurry with the med. Mix well then add the slurry to warm water and stir well prior to adding to the tank.
Sorry Im asking this again but does the DMSO disovle the praziquantel or will I still need to add alcohol.....

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
That's interesting is it the same stuff as the one for horses and if so how much do you add to your cocktail.....

Not sure if it is or not.

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry Im asking this again but does the DMSO disovle the praziquantel or will I still need to add alcohol.....

I only use the DMSO.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
In the past I have used the prazipro but I have heard that the powder is more affective so that's why I switched....

lipadj46
04-27-2012, 04:59 PM

yeah you can get the pure DMSO for horses for much cheaper than the chemistry grade stuff. Warning though it will make your tank stink bad like rancid garbage for a couple weeks lol! It will increase the effectiveness of the medicine though.

DMSO will dissolve most anything as it is essentially polar and nonpolar. In chemistry if you can't get something to dissolve you use DMSO. Wear gloves though as it will absorb into your skin along with the meds, you will taste garlic when that happens which is a bit weird.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
LOL.... Maybe it will help my knee lol

jimg
04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
agree prazi does not need to be diluted with vodka. it will dilute on it's own. dmso is not to dilute it but to make it absorb better.

Chicago Discus
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
agree prazi does not need to be diluted with vodka. it will dilute on it's own. dmso is not to dilute it but to make it absorb better.

Thanks Jim that's kinda what I thought.......Josie

jimg
04-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Jim that's kinda what I thought.......Josie hope it works out for ya'