PDA

View Full Version : Discus Sex

nabilbb
04-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Everyone,
Maybe this is a bigginer question but how can you tell the sex of a Discus?

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 04:25 PM
By it's breeding tube. Square for the girls and pointy for the boys.

zimmjeff
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
nabilbb I love your avitar

JenTN
04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
My method..have Hans pick it for u. Lol

nabilbb
04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
I love your avitar
I wish it was my fish, it is from Google Ha Ha...

Skip
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Nab. U basically have to was them during spawing to see difference

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Skip, drunken posting is not allowed but is sure entertaining.

nabilbb
04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
So as WARLOCK said during spawing is for sure, but before they become adolt as Second Hand Pat said by the shape of the tube.
I will give it a try

Thanks All

Pardal
04-27-2012, 05:52 PM
So as WARLOCK said during spawing is for sure, but before they become adolt as Second Hand Pat said by the shape of the tube.
I will give it a try

Thanks All
nabilbb ,What Pat means is also during spawning , you can only observe the reproductive tubes during spawning.

nabilbb
04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
So there is no way to know before the become Adults (During Spawning)?

Second Hand Pat
04-27-2012, 06:22 PM
So there is no way to know before the become Adults (During Spawning)?

That is correct to be 100% sure.

Trier20
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I've heard of looking at dorsal fins. Female-round male-more pointy.........BUT I think this is with mature fish. It's a waiting game

Aquatics_Discus
05-04-2012, 02:08 AM
i think the only real way to tell the sex of the discus is 2 wait till their mature and you can tell which 1 is male and female thats what i did with my discus some say you can tell by their foreheads and dorsal fin the real way is just to wait it out and see

Orange Crush
05-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Skip, drunken posting is not allowed but is sure entertaining.
It should be allowed because it IS entertaining! :p

jbuck
05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
It should be allowed because it IS entertaining! :p

Lol agreed, is that a written rule? Looks like Brandon is in trouble!(I hope he doesn't see this) haha

discus daddy
05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
One of the biggest question asked frequently of the discus breeder is “how do I determine the sex of my fish?” There are very few easy identifiers in this process. It’s very funny that sometimes even I don’t understand which sex of the discus is.
In juvenile fish, determining sex is almost impossible. It is only when they begin to pair off that an opportunity arises to help in the determination of sex. Juvenile fish, both male and female, have a rounded dorsal fin, and it is not until they begin to mature that a difference can be detected.

The male discus will have thicker lips to aid him in his fight to protect the female, and male discus can become more aggressive. The male will be larger than the female, his forehead is thicker, and we have observed that if the discus are a bit shy, the male will have a tendency to stay between the female and the observer.

Moreover, we can distinguish the male and female discus by anal and the spine of the anal fin. Closer is female. (Near the anal fin). The anal of the female is boarder for the tube to deliver eggs.
Check the colour and pattern of your discus fish, compare the discus to one another in the tank. Some fish will have more intense colour and some discus will have more pattern. Male discus fish tend to have less intense colour but have more pattern while the female tends to be more colorful but with lesser pattern.
Sexing Discus is the most difficult. The easiest way to do so is to raise a group of at least six to eight discus, so that they can form community and allow them to pair off when ready. It is a beautiful sight to

Eddie
05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
The fin thing is hit or miss, just like the vent area being convex or concave.

Second Hand Pat
05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Yea, I tried the fin thing, pretty much useless.

BowRiver
05-06-2012, 08:28 AM
I think the % to get it correct very little , the best way is by observing the breeding tube