PDA

View Full Version : discus bullying

billtw1
04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Here's my story. Have 24 gallon tank with cardinals, 2 hatchets, and 2 rams. Added 2 discus, 1 bigger than the other. They got along great for about a month, eating off the same plate so to speak, never picked at one another at all. I added an airstone for more oxygen and looks. 1 day later the bigger discus is bullying the smaller 1. I turned off the bubbles. Now it is so bad the smaller 1 hides and fears for his life, and rightfully so. I put the bully in a bucket for a few hours then back in the tank only to have him pick up where he left, bullying again. What triggered this and is there any recourse? I feel the bubbles caused it but when stopped didn't reverse it. I assume it would have happened eventually with or without bubbles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated? I'm going to add another small discus as I've read odd numbers are best. Will this run it's course or will big fish kill small fish?
Help!

lipadj46
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Your tank is way too small for a non pair. Adding 1 is not going to do much but overstock more. Get a 55 with 5-6 fish or a 75 with 7-8 fish

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

Floppy Fin's
04-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Your tank is way too small for a non pair. Adding 1 is not going to do much but overstock more. Get a 55 with 5-6 fish or a 75 with 7-8 fish

The answer you recieved from lipadj46 is 100% correct....Discus need or require much more room, and frequent water changes of 10% or more. As well as higher water temperatures than your community tank requires.

Bill63SG
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Yep,too small a tank with too few discus.

billtw1
04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately a larger tank is out of the question. I guess if it doesn't run it's course I'll try to trade them. I'll do plenty water changes and whatever I can but I understand it may not be enough. Thanks again all.

Bill63SG
04-28-2012, 02:23 PM
It's running it's course,and you will have 1 discus.Its like not having enough room for a large breed dog or time to train a working dog like a border collie.A different breed is what you need.Luckliy we're not talking dogs.

billtw1
04-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Any ideas what triggered this after a month?

Skip
04-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Any ideas what triggered this after a month?

age.. one figured out there is a pecking order