PDA

View Full Version : What is going on here, lighting dilemma (video included)

Harry Marsh
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
This annoys me to no end.

I've got a 'show' aquarium in the kitchen
75 gallon seaclear acrylic

I used to have some nice manzanita in it (recently removed)

No matter what I do, I can't seem to illuminate the fish in the seaclear tank.
2 red turks in it now, but sometimes i will put all 6 fish in there: they are all dark looking unless they're sitting in the front of the aquarium
Is it the black background in that seaclear? Is that the difference? Black background absorbing light?

The video shows what I mean.
Glass 55 gallon in the garage: fish looks beautiful from any direction or spot in the tank. And any light setup makes them 'pop'

All 6 fish are the same: alexander piwowarski red turks

I realize the 75 gallon is 18" deep while the 55 gallon is 12" deep

Is that the difference? Width of the tank?
Or is it the black background on the 75?

I am ready to scrap the 75 and get a white background aquarium (or a 12" wide aquarium)

Or, is it my lighting?
I have cheap fluorescents in the garage. Fancy timer T5 on the seaclear. I have even tried multiple lights on the seaclear and doesn't seem to help much (if any)

Very aggravated. Suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jpPd0xvrw

ockyra215
04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I would suggest loosing the backround on the 75 id say its to dark. Jmo ofcourse.

DiscusOnly
04-29-2012, 08:51 PM
I have the same tank but only it's 180gal. Same problem with my fish. They will appear very dark to blend in the background. When they are feeding up in the front, it look like a different fish. No matter what types of fish I have in there, domestic or wild. It's the black background and unfortunately, not much you can do cause it's painted.

Harry Marsh
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I have the same tank but only it's 180gal. Same problem with my fish. They will appear very dark to blend in the background. When they are feeding up in the front, it look like a different fish. No matter what types of fish I have in there, domestic or wild. It's the black background and unfortunately, not much you can do cause it's painted.

Do you think it's our fish blending in with the background?
Or the background absorbing the light?

seems like...i can push the fish forward with a net and they're colorful: leading me to believe it's mostly the background?

DiscusOnly
04-29-2012, 10:38 PM
I think it's the background. I used to have jungle val along the entire back of the tank and it made a little difference but they still like to hide back there at times.

Bill63SG
04-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Deffinatley the background.

gaboon
05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Raise the lights. The t5 puts out light in a narrow beam. I had the same prob and it fixed it.

Harry Marsh
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Raise the lights. The t5 puts out light in a narrow beam. I had the same prob and it fixed it.

Made sense, but did not affect mine

Lenin
05-01-2012, 11:00 PM
background

ExReefer
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Background for sure. As you know I have Piwowarski RT's too and they look best with light colored background. Their red color is candy apple red under good conditions. With black background, their red turns into maroon and they almost look sick.

Harry Marsh
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Background for sure. As you know I have Piwowarski RT's too and they look best with light colored background. Their red color is candy apple red under good conditions. With black background, their red turns into maroon and they almost look sick.

I think you're right as well: the black background
I'm going to shop for a 75 gallon glass aquarium. It should not be a hard switch to 'sell'

Josef
05-03-2012, 06:41 AM
I got to see your cars man! They look good no matter what background there in!