PDA

View Full Version : Syphon Diaries

Chicago Discus
04-29-2012, 10:07 PM
OK as most of you that know me I'm about to take the next step in my Discus journey and start building out a large fish room in my basement. Ok I have the filtration, draining and refilling , tanks (there designed and ordered), the sumps, lighting, three holding tanks, A lab room (my aunt The scientist insisted) and the entire layout which I think will look really cool.....

The only thing that has me puzzled is making my Syphon work much easier and getting rid of my waste barrels they stink and are a pain on the *** to clean. So the Mad Scientist went downstairs and came up with a plan that has great suction and won't clog the motor while cleaning the bottoms of the tanks. She is designing a grinder pump that will work for our purposes.....So what are your thoughts ..........Josie

Second Hand Pat
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I want your aunt :D

Kal-El
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Amazing... when this is all done I'm coming over to check it out and buy me some Discus. Hoping you'll have an adult female Snakeskin blue in your new fish room when this is all setup.

Chicago Discus
04-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Its pretty funny to her that after teaching Bio-chemistry in medical school and working for a major food company for 30 years that all this would pay off in the end with the love that she has in these wonderful creatures....Little story My aunt called me at home and said one of our fry suddenly died I told her well $hit happens. I got home from work walked into kitchen and what do I see two professional microscopes with slides and pea-tree dishes a beaker some strange chemicals and a notepad oh and my son eating something at the kitchen table not related to her experiment LOL. she starts ranting all these scientific terms that I think you need a PHD to understand and stated what she thought was wrong with the little fish and that none of the others were in danger of contracting his natural problem.....after laughing my a$$ off and finally starting to realize that I live with a mad scientist it all made sense what a pair we make in this adventure.......Josie

TNT77
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry Pat I have dibs on her before you. :D

cjr8420
04-29-2012, 10:46 PM
i got a 25' 5/8 clear vinyl hose that i syphon directly to my basement sump pit.and sump pump sends it to the back yard. you get a better syphon because the pit is below any sink levels.been doing this for a year now with no issues.i use to syphon to a brute then pump down the drain and u wouldnt believe how much faster it goes with out the waste barrel.only thing im looking to do different is to get a bigger syphon hose

Bill63SG
04-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Discustein

cjr8420
04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Discustein
lol im picturing a discus with the football lace scar marks all over

Chicago Discus
04-29-2012, 10:57 PM
i got a 25' 5/8 clear vinyl hose that i syphon directly to my basement sump pit.and sump pump sends it to the back yard. you get a better syphon because the pit is below any sink levels.been doing this for a year now with no issues.i use to syphon to a brute then pump down the drain and u wouldnt believe how much faster it goes with out the waste barrel.only thing im looking to do different is to get a bigger syphon hose

Yea I really want to get rid of he brute barrels and skip a few steps .....Josie

Bill63SG
04-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Menards had a transfer station which was basicaliy a sump pump in a box.No,not a d!ck in a box for you snl fans.If you dont have a sump,you just pump your water into it and it pumps it out.Was thniking of using it to water trees,garden,or once I hook up ro,waste to top off pool.

Chicago Discus
04-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Menards had a transfer station which was basicaliy a sump pump in a box.No,not a d!ck in a box for you snl fans.If you dont have a sump,you just pump your water into it and it pumps it out.Was thniking of using it to water trees,garden,or once I hook up ro,waste to top off pool.

I like that bill when I move the "Shed" downstairs I will check that option out just don't want to much suction .....Josie

TNT77
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I like that bill when I move the "Shed" downstairs I will check that option out just don't want to much suction .....Josie
HAHA

Bill63SG
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
It was like a regular sump pump with a floater valve.Being in Chicago,you might not be familar.When the water reaches a certaian level,it kicks in,like your toilet in reverse.It shuts of when its full,this kicks in when its full.If your worried about the suction,I'm sure you could change out the horse pwr on the motor.

Second Hand Pat
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Its pretty funny to her that after teaching Bio-chemistry in medical school and working for a major food company for 30 years that all this would pay off in the end with the love that she has in these wonderful creatures....Little story My aunt called me at home and said one of our fry suddenly died I told her well $hit happens. I got home from work walked into kitchen and what do I see two professional microscopes with slides and pea-tree dishes a beaker some strange chemicals and a notepad oh and my son eating something at the kitchen table not related to her experiment LOL. she starts ranting all these scientific terms that I think you need a PHD to understand and stated what she thought was wrong with the little fish and that none of the others were in danger of contracting his natural problem.....after laughing my a$$ off and finally starting to realize that I live with a mad scientist it all made sense what a pair we make in this adventure.......Josie

Josie, got to love our family. She sounds like a total gem but alas, Tara has dibs :( maybe can share :)

TNT77
04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Josie, got to love our family. She sounds like a total gem but alas, Tara has dibs :( maybe can share :)
I'm always willing to share. :)

cjr8420
04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
i would think with ur mini shedd u would hard plumb a drain system if its not to late get a few more holes drilled

Bill63SG
04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Josie, got to love our family. She sounds like a total gem but alas, Tara has dibs :( maybe can share :)In true discustien fashion I say we quarter her.

Second Hand Pat
04-29-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm always willing to share. :)

See, always a solution :)...wonder if the aunt would agree

dpete9
04-30-2012, 12:27 AM
I use a huge waste water barrel, pump the waste water in to it and then a sump pump in there to pump it out. I do it because I bought like 150 of RO line I coiled it around and set it in the waste water bucket. then I use that as my feed line to my RO.. So I am sure someone might give me a reason why I shouldn't do that. But dang it brings the feed water up to around 70 degrees versus 50 and i see it as recycling the heat. The sump pump automatically dumps the water out to the garden when the wast barrel is full...I love finding ways to save energy.