PDA

View Full Version : Prime and Stability Chemicals

nabilbb
04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi All,

Every time I do WC I use Python hose and put the new water in a big container neer the Aquarium, then I add Prime & Stability to the water, then I add the water to the Aquarium 50% WC. Can I do the following:

Add prime & Stability in the remaining water in the Aquarium, then add the new water directly from tap to the Aquarium?

Thanks
:confused:

Skip
04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
exactly..

i add SAFE/PRIME into tank *treat ENTIRE TANK VOLUME*.. then filler up..

why are you adding stability..

Chicago Discus
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Why are you using stability?

Wes
04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
You add prime or safe for the total volume of tank. Run hose into tank making sure temp is ok. In the winter micro bubbles seem to bother the fish. Some of the fish loose some slime coat on their dorsal fin, especially with winter water directly into the tank.

nabilbb
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
When I first started My aquarium about 2 years ago, I had cloudy water at the begining, then I went to the pet store to ask them, they adviced me to use Stability, I do it eversince

Skip
04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
well, there is no need to waste your money.. if your tank is 2 yrs old

nabilbb
04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks All,
I will do this from now on also I wont be using Stability

Orange Crush
04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
When I first started My aquarium about 2 years ago, I had cloudy water at the begining, then I went to the pet store to ask them, they adviced me to use Stability, I do it eversince
The cloudy water that occurs after setting up a tank is a bacterial bloom and is a part of the cycling process that only lasts for several days (the cycling itself takes 6-8 weeks). As long as your water has no nitrItes or ammonia then your tank is cycled and you do not need to use Stability. Big waste of money.

nabilbb
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
The cloudy water that occurs after setting up a tank is a bacterial bloom and is a part of the cycling process that only lasts for several days (the cycling itself takes 6-8 weeks). As long as your water has no nitrItes or ammonia then your tank is cycled and you do not need to use Stability. Big waste of money.

Yes, I learned that the hard way, The pet store told me I need to cycle the tank only 4 days. on the 5th day I bought fish. but thanks god it was not expensive fish like Discus. and they all died

Wjmulder
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I do the exact same thing as nibilbb, scared to death of getting chlorine in the tank. 2 questions, why treat the entire volume if the original water is safe, and how long does the prime continue to "work"

Skip
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
why treat the entire tank?!

cuz thats what the directions say :)

Wjmulder
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Knew there would be a good reason

Skip
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Knew there would be a good reason

when all else fails.. :)

Wjmulder
04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I expected more from you warlock

Bill63SG
04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I do the exact same thing as nibilbb, scared to death of getting chlorine in the tank. 2 questions, why treat the entire volume if the original water is safe, and how long does the prime continue to "work"Think of it like this.If you have ten miles of road,and you repair five,you still need enough gas to get across the ten miles.

Wes
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Think of it like this.If you have ten miles of road,and you repair five,you still need enough gas to get across the ten miles. Bill, A great way to look at it.

moon_knight1971
04-30-2012, 07:51 PM
And it's almost impossible to overdose the tank with Prime or Safe so use liberally.

Joey!

Wjmulder
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Yea, was looking at it wrong. I was thinking so much prime removes so much chlorine regardless of total water volume. Between the pool, koi pond and discus tank I'm turning into a chemist. Some day I'll dump bleach into the fish tank and try to de-chlorinate the pool!

Bill63SG
04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Bill, A great way to look at it.Thanks.

Skip
05-01-2012, 07:10 AM
I expected more from you warlock

I like to use the K.I.S.S. Method

Wes
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Between the pool, koi pond and discus tank I'm turning into a chemist. Some day I'll dump bleach into the fish tank and try to de-chlorinate the pool! I have the same problem. I have been spending the last two days opening the pool. In between cleaning filters,vacuuming and adding chemicals to the pool, I decided to paint my breeder tanks. Painted the extra tank moved fish into it and clean and paint the one they were in and so on. I have been washing my hands so much so that I won't kill my fish with pool chemicals.:crazy:

Bill63SG
05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I have the same problem. I have been spending the last two days opening the pool. In between cleaning filters,vacuuming and adding chemicals to the pool, I decided to paint my breeder tanks. Painted the extra tank moved fish into it and clean and paint the one they were in and so on. I have been washing my hands so much so that I won't kill my fish with pool chemicals.:crazy:Your not that far from me,still a little chilly for me to mess with the pool.Cold enough with the pond.