PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fry- Possible Flukes?? Help please...

Dannigirl
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

This started yesterday. My 4 Discus fry- about 5-6 weeks old were at the top gasping for air.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

They stopped eating and were gasping on top. 1 passed away yesterday and 1 today. The 2 that passed seemed a bit darker. It's funny just a couple of days ago I was bragging about their color. The 2 left- seem ok on color for their age. Maybe a wee bit dark.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I put in an air pump and dosed Quick Cure after an internet search for possible flukes since they are around the age that flukes would come into play. I half dosed at 1 drop per 2 gallons.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Tank- 20g- Barebottom- 4 previously- now 2 Discus fry. Possibly 5-6 weeks old maybe older?

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

2 50% Water changes per day- aged and dechlored with Prime. Tank is BB with only a pot and an airstone. Tank is a QT for new fish and I cycled with seeded media from well established healthy tanks. I also siphon uneaten food if it sits too long.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____86- dropped to 84 slowly after gasping- still there.

- ph _____ 7.4 aged

- ammonia reading ____0 ppm

- nitrite reading ____0 ppm

- nitrate reading ____5-10 closer to 5- color is a bit in between

- well water ____

- municipal water ____Chicago city water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently Just these guys.

I haven't had Discus for 20 years- wow has so much changed. :) I got these guys because my daughter who's 10 wanted to see if we could raise them- I am starting up a Discus tank anyway and the fry were a challenge- at least fry this small. Anyway- I'm just trying to do the best by them and see what happens.

The fish have all been great for a couple of weeks and boom...this happens. The funny thing is they have grown since I started feeding Al's worms and Bill's beefheart flake- both of these foods have been the first food they attacked. They love it so it's sad that this happened. :( I'm just trying not to break my daughter's heart even though I warned her that this could and probably will happen in the beginning.

I have Parasite Clear on hand and Metro if that would be better than Quick Cure. Prazi pro I would have to order online.

Anyway- thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Thanks in advance

Chicago Discus
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
If it were me I would just cull them but I come at it from a different place.....ok with that said you can try prazi-pro it's not as harsh as regular prazi powder. You can add after a water change the recommended amount of prazipro but in the time being until you get some you can treat with salt it will give them some relief from the flukes until you get the prazi-pro....

jimg
04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Doesn't sound like flukes to me they usually dart around,hold gills wide open, rapid breathing, swim in circles etc but could be. I use prazi powder with small fry with no problems at all. 1/4 tsp per 20 gal. are you positive about water parameters especially nitrites? check your thermometer too.