PDA

View Full Version : should I or shouldn't I

dghby
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
OK, let me first thank this entire forum for the knowledge you have given me the past year and a half. this is definitely the place to be.
now, my question, i have 6- 4.5-5inch Discus in a 55 gl. they came from Kennys April Shipment, very pleased, again, thanks for your recommendation.
i will provide a picture. i am considering putting a Bristlenose to help keep the bottom cleaned up of FDBW's and differents foods. i said i am considering, so i am just looking for different view points.
I ALREADY HAVE the Bristlenose. have had him for 6 months at least, can't quite remember exactly. he is in a 55 gl tank downstairs with an angelfish, gourami and many tetras. i have no problems with that tank. So, first, whats the story with Plecos latching onto the side of Discus, is this a myth or some truth to it. should i stay away from this idea at all.
And if it is highly recommended, do i put the BP into a Qt tank for a period of time or can i put him directly in with the Discus.
Just really looking for peoples opinions on this subject.
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii629/disc1961/008.jpg
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii629/disc1961/006-2.jpg

moon_knight1971
05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
All myths are based on reality so yes there have been real problems with certain kinds of Plecos eating the slime on the Discus and causing problems that can even lead to Discus death. From what I've read, Albino Bushynosed Plecos are relatively safe. I actually got my 1st one last week and so far so good. He's only about an 1.5" right now though....

Joey!

tmfish
05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I have heard that problems can occur. I currently have a columbian Zebra pleco and a large spot gold nugget in with my Discus and have no problems. They have been with them for over 3 years. I have also had BN in the past and have had no problems with them either.

dghby
05-01-2012, 08:30 PM
thank you both, keep it coming, let me clarify, the BN i have is not albino, not sure if that makes a difference and like i said, he is about 6-8 months old, probably about 3 inches or so.

hedut
05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
just try and you will find out, all depend on the pleco. I have male ABN that sucking discus and other male ABN is not, point is just keep pay attention when see sign sucking that you should take out those pleco :) usually when tank light is off. Good luck

dghby
05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
so if i try this, do i need to Qt the BN( since he is in with other fish in a different tank) or can he go straight in since the tanks parameter are in good shape and other than the temp pretty much the same as the Discus?

strawberryblonde
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I actually use Corydoras Sterbai to clean up leftover food and they work perfectly without any dangers of latching onto my discus. Have you thought of giving them a try?

moon_knight1971
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Yup. Better to be safe than sorry. Discus are expensive so save yourself a possible headache and quarantine any new fish for 6 - 8 weeks.

Joey!

dghby
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I actually use Corydoras Sterbai to clean up leftover food and they work perfectly without any dangers of latching onto my discus. Have you thought of giving them a try?
i hadn't, but cories would probably do a much better clean up i suppose. i have some cories with this BN i am speaking of, so again, since i have had these guys for 6-8 months ( or longer) would i need to take them from their existing tank and QT them seperately or could they be put directly in with the Discus ( since they are not new from the store)

nabilbb
05-02-2012, 06:17 PM
BN are safe with Discus, I always have then in my Discus tank

shoveltrash
05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
I once had problems with a regular Pleco.....but have read numerous posts here from members saying that BN are safer. so here's a question, what's a good source for ABNs or BNs??? (my local LFS doesn't carry them)
I'm tired of cleaning algae LOL!